Flatting lacquer

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I've switched to white spirits when doing anything that has loads of routing or body holes in it for the same reason mate, I simply wont trust water anymore..funnily enough I have only ever suffered with wood swelling when doing anything fender shaped, never suffered doing a Gibson for some reason..I leave naff all to chance anymore and stick with white spirits, I don't know if it's all in my head but it seems to sand smoother and faster than using water and soap. Useless with micro mesh though, it takes the grainy shit off the cloth real quick.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I've been a spray painter for 26 years and never heard of that, you learn summat new every day. Be sure to wear gloves, it's a very powerful de-fatter and causes dermo like you wouldn't believe. I'll stick to water and higher grades ;-)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Deadman;369906" said:
    I've been a spray painter for 26 years and never heard of that, you learn summat new every day. Be sure to wear gloves, it's a very powerful de-fatter and causes dermo like you wouldn't believe. I'll stick to water and higher grades ;-)

Right. I'll throw some more clear on it and change me approach. GOD!!!!!!!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with using white spirit. If it works for you and you're trying to avoid wood swell then I'd suggest you continue. The fact that you're breaking through probably does mean you need to be a little more careful though
    ;)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Deadman;370009" said:
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with using white spirit. If it works for you and you're trying to avoid wood swell then I'd suggest you continue. The fact that you're breaking through probably does mean you need to be a little more careful though

;)

Aye, I know. Barely using any pressure either. Steep learning curve and all...
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • DamianPDamianP Frets: 499
    Mirka Polarstar used dry.  

1200 then 1500. 

No wet sanding ever.