Songs that reference (without directly sampling) other songs or famous bits of music

What's Hot

Comments

• I heard Texas's Say What You Want on the radio for the first time in donkey's years the other day. I still can't help every time I hear Charlene sing "And when I get that feeling..." wanting to finish the line with "...I need sexual healing!"

Not sure if it was remotely intentional or just accidental when they wrote the song. Didn't do them any harm though!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I heard Texas's Say What You Want on the radio for the first time in donkey's years the other day. I still can't help every time I hear Charlene sing "And when I get that feeling..." wanting to finish the line with "...I need sexual healing!"

Not sure if it was remotely intentional or just accidental when they wrote the song. Didn't do them any harm though!
    Oh, it’s blatant, if you ask me.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    I heard Texas's Say What You Want on the radio for the first time in donkey's years the other day. I still can't help every time I hear Charlene sing "And when I get that feeling..." wanting to finish the line with "...I need sexual healing!"

I seem to recall an interview with her talking about recording vocals lying on the floor to get a laidback vibe based on something she had heard about old soul singer doing that
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 630
    I heard Texas's Say What You Want on the radio for the first time in donkey's years the other day. I still can't help every time I hear Charlene sing "And when I get that feeling..." wanting to finish the line with "...I need sexual healing!"

I know I said no samples… but I'm still amazed by the Humperdinck strings that RZA found for the Sharleen/Method Man version. Song doesn't work overall, but what a pull!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    Lots of classical ones 
      Gregg lake - I believe in Father Christmas  - Troika Prokofiev
      and is joybringer by manfred Mann , part of Holstz Planet Suite 

Mann had to get permission from Holstz's widow to use that. She must have been bloody old!!
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2637
    Wireless by Cardiacs is very, very close to Läuft...Heißt Das Es Läuft Oder Es Kommt Bald...Läuft by Faust. Not really a cover, and they knew their audience too well to think that no one would notice. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgGVWwqtizs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhqTkiDpG5Y
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5500
    Fade To Grey by Visage sounds so much like Human League's 'Being Boiled'.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22879
    thing said:
    Lots of classical ones 
    Mann had to get permission from Holstz's widow to use that. She must have been bloody old!!
    I was intrigued by that and had to look it up... Mrs Holst died in 1969 (aged 93) so Mann must have got permission from the Holsts' daughter, Imogen Holst, who (it turns out) was also a composer.  Apparently they wanted to do a full adaptation of The Planets Suite but that was refused. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10697
    Whiter Shade of Pale sounds like it's going to sound like bits of Bach but it isn't quite.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4527
    The Wildhearts' 29 x The Pain is (lyrically) chock full of them (kinda the point of the song):

Sticking with the Wildhearts, My Baby is a Headfuck sneaks in a bit of Day Tripper:

Gary Moore throws in the Highway Chile riff in Livin' on Dreams:

And Seek and Destroy in Death to All But Metal from the mighty Steel Panther:

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    edited April 2023
    Philly_Q said:
    thing said:
    Lots of classical ones 
    I was intrigued by that and had to look it up... Mrs Holst died in 1969 (aged 93) so Mann must have got permission from the Holsts' daughter, Imogen Holst, who (it turns out) was also a composer.  Apparently they wanted to do a full adaptation of The Planets Suite but that was refused. 
    Good bit of detective work there Phil, have a wis
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1474

And Seek and Destroy in Death to All But Metal from the mighty Steel Panther:

To be fair, the whole of Feel the Steel is just a rip off of other 80's metal songs. 
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    The main riff to ‘Unas Slayer Of The Gods’ by Nile is from ‘Well Of Souls’ by Candlemass (and is noted in the booklet).
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    The Lyrics "Echo Beach" were contained in the 1978 Ultravox Song "Hiroshima Mon Amour"

A song called Echo Beach was released in 1980 by Martha and the Muffins.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    The Lyrics "Echo Beach" were contained in the 1978 Ultravox Song "Hiroshima Mon Amour"

A song called Echo Beach was released in 1980 by Martha and the Muffins.
    I think I’d assumed that Echo Beach was a real place but no it’s from the Ultravox song. That song is based on the 1959 film Hiroshima Mon Amour and I can’t see from Wikipedia wether Echo Beach is mentioned in that or the band’s own invention. The film also inspired the song Hiroshima Mon Amour by Alcatrazz in 1983, a young Yngwie Malmsteen doing the widdly bits. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Self reference: Sting's "big enough umbrella" phrase, born on 'Every Little Thing...' turns up again on 'O My God' and again on 'Seven Days'!
    More self reference: just heard 'Dreaming' by Blondie..."Fade away, radiate" ;)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Right Said Fred "I'm too Sexy" has the Jimi Hendrix riff after the chorus

And again at 1:00
    Cozy Powell, Dance With The Devil

• Reverend said:

I seem to recall an interview with her talking about recording vocals lying on the floor to get a laidback vibe based on something she had heard about old soul singer doing that
    That Motown bass player recorded some of his lines laying down. The famous guy 
  • KevSKevS Frets: 477
    Parisienne Walkways..

Blue Bossa Joe Henderson..

Another Bossa... Smoke on the Water..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• KevS said:
    Parisienne Walkways..

Blue Bossa Joe Henderson..

There's a bit in Mr Crowley (Ozzy Osbourne) that supposedly borrows from Parisienne Walkways.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.