Debate - how many measures is this?

roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
The song is "No Rain" by Blind Melon.
The intro has a little lead lick, accompanied by a chord strum, after some repetitions of this it breaks into a more obvious pattern.

We're covering it in our band. I said that the lead lick happens 3 times, but the "rhythm section" told me it was twice. I can see both sides to the debate. The lick is a lead-in to the chord strum, so the full measure only really happens twice, with a single lead lick on its own to start.

How would you describe it? Doesn't really matter, we just played it and agreed how it worked and forgot about the counting. Just seemed odd to have such opposing views.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4545
    I'd say the intro lick is the end of bar 1, with the first chord strum on the first beat of bar 2, then the second chord strum on the first beat of bar 4, and so on.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27124
    The intro lick starts on the 3 before the first full bar. Then it’s 2 bars per lick, and 4 bars in total. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    I think I need to write it out to understand it.
    Or, just go with my instincts and not worry as long as we are tight.
  • thingthing Frets: 469
    The intro lick starts on the 3 before the first full bar. Then it’s 2 bars per lick, and 4 bars in total. 

This.
    This is absurd.  You don’t know what you’re talking about.  It warrants combat.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2775
    One single bar in 27 4 time?