Mixers...

What's Hot
Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
Looking for some advice from the masses in terms of getting a new-to-us mixer.

We've been getting by with a 4 channel little Beringer thing for a while now, but time has come to upgrade to something a little better. That something would preferably have at least 8 XLR inputs, with onboard effects and would be analogue (or at least have faders for quickly changing levels mid-set if needed). However don't want some great hulking thing that struggles to fit in the car. Don't mind used - budget is £250-300.

So given all that, where should we be focussing our attention, in terms of boards / brands etc.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2328
    edited April 2023
    Personally having had Mackies, soundcraft, behringers etc the  best ones I've found for sound quality/reliability in the budget end are Yamaha..    Yamaha MGP16X for example, although the previous generation was really good as well.

Has good quality sound, 3 aux outs, built in compression for some tracks, Plus effects aux.   
    ebay
    ebay 2
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    If you have a laptop/tablet/smart phone then the behringer xr12 is feature packed, portable and saves external fx comp etc. very powerful in a small package and slightly above your budget.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • You should be able to pickup an AllenandHeath mix wizard for that budget great desks, sound really nice great eq loads of auxes , no wallwarts and repairable 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Soundcraft Signature 12 will do the job. I prefer their Mic pre’s to the Yamaha ones. They sound more musical to me.You also get Lexicon effects.

You should be able to pick up a used one well within your budget.

There is a new one here for £359.

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/soundcraft-signature-12-mixing-desks-compact-analogue-mixer-12-channels-2-usb-inputs?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=feed_clicks&utm_content=surfaces_across_google&gclid=CjwKCAjw6IiiBhAOEiwALNqncUxE7F5kyUbVRwFKpsxurh5pSH1IEZnuYNxUeY5W7a2fpuw9hP6JJBoClAUQAvD_BwE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    You should be able to pickup an AllenandHeath mix wizard for that budget great desks, sound really nice great eq loads of auxes , no wallwarts and repairable 
    That's my pick as well. 
    Good headroom, great EQ and generous Aux buses .... also VERY reliable 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18824
    I usually get by with tonic water & maybe coke or orange juice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3134
    edited April 2023
    Danny1969 said:
    You should be able to pickup an AllenandHeath mix wizard for that budget great desks, sound really nice great eq loads of auxes , no wallwarts and repairable 
    That's my pick as well. 
    Good headroom, great EQ and generous Aux buses .... also VERY reliable 
    Indeed, I’ve just had mine serviced by my local vintage repairers, I’ve owned it for 20 years!  Doesn’t get much use now but still probably my favourite desk to use for small non commercial gigs! Much sweeter than my Zed or Signature, and I think sounds better than the QU!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Agreed.  If you’re not going digital then a mix-wizard is a great choice.    Love those desks.    

That said I’d look at the channel count you need, how many pre or post aux sends and eq bands and almost modern desk that fits will be ok - the difference in quality coming out of the PA will depend a lot more on the performance and mixing skills than the brand imo.  
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    Thanks chaps, really appreciate the insight.

You're absolutely right - the quality of output is very much going to be determined by user, rather than board itself. That said, finding something easy to dial in and if necessary change on the fly (hence veering away from digital), whilst also being bulletproof is absolutely key.

Off to eBay for a MixWizard I go...
  • I love the Allen and Heath ZedFX range, great eq and preamps, cheap and still British made I think.