SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD : Collings 290, Lollar P90s. Early Model, LP Special style.

What's Hot
albanovalbanov Frets: 55
edited December 2014 in Guitars £

2006 (first year) Collings 290 in transparent orange, serial #20. Excellent variation on the Les Paul Special theme, which as all discerning ladies and gentlemen know is the best guitar design ever (that isn't a telecaster).

Has the early features of a glued on pickguard (as opposed to screwed on) and open-back tuners. Beautifully made, very resonant and responsive to picking dynamics.

This has been my main guitar for quite a while, it’s a cracker and will no doubt be making an appearance in the ‘guitars you wish you’d never sold’ thread one day!

Features all mahogany construction with gloss nitrocellulose lacquer finish, rosewood fretboard and long mortise & tenon neck joint. Collings describe the neck profile as a medium-fat ‘C’ shape, with a 1 11/16” nut width and 24 7/8” scale length. Pickups are a pair of Lollar P90s, wired 1950’s style with the usual two volume and tone controls and 3-way switch. The bridge and tailpiece are Tonepros, tuners are Sperzel ‘Sound-Lok’ friction locking units. Weight is 3.26kg.

No breaks, cracks or repairs. Finish has various marks, light indentations, scratches etc which I’ve tried to show in the photos as best I can. OHSC is included and is in good condition.

I’d prefer a straight sale but will consider part exchange/trades for vintage-y type guitars or amps.

£1300 + £15 postage or can be collected in Birmingham.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1563
    edited October 2014
    These are amazing guitars folks, I've owned a few 290s in my time and they are consistently exceptional instruments. 

Worth noting that the nitro finish on Collings is so thin and soft the wear marks and dings are an unavoidable part of ownership. Even a complete neat/condition freak like me has marked up every Collings I've owned in some way so it shouldn't be seen as misuse...although this one has a lot of mojo! That delicate finish must be aiding tone though as they are always incredible.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • albanovalbanov Frets: 55
    @Majorscale is right on both counts, these are great guitars, and the finish does seem particularly thin. The back of the neck's still clean and smooth on this one though, so it's all cosmetic to my mind. 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Phwoarrr !! Lovely, just lovely ! B-)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stuagustuagu Frets: 334
    a lot of guitar for a greeeeeeat price... my piggy bank us empty :-(
  • Quite lovely  :)
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    Bump
  • PM d you
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967

they call that trans orange Bro? Hmmm,that's the Gibson cherry man...

lovely guitar BTW :)

tae be or not tae be
  • Not sure it's the same as Gibbo cherry.... coz Collings also do a cherry version... that's less orangey and more cherry-ish!!

That said... maybe their recent trans orange ones are more orangey than that early example.

Either way... great guitars.

It's no Gretsch orange for sure, more of a faded cherry really.  Here's a pic next to my Greco LP for reference:

Bump
    Bump
    Up we go. Price reduced to £1300 ovno. Trades are still an option although ideally not to full value.  I've gone off the idea of a Rickenbacker for the moment - still looking for a Firebird, would also consider a Jazzmaster... Also a Fender Precision Bass (US or Japanese) - got to be white with black guard though.  Just like Sid's.  Could also be interested in effects, particularly fuzz, tremolo/vibe, weird stuff.
  • These are great guitars... and more versatile than many would imagine. Can't understand why they don't hold onto more of their value when second hand - but I guess that's the fate of many high end guitars.

Good luck with the sale.

• Slightly half hearted 'hang on this guitar's great, why am I selling it?' type bump...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hup
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Shitinell thats lovely.

My pal who is well into high end guitars and had them all reckons these are some of the best guitars on the planet.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    That's a cracker..... Does she have a sister in TV yellow?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • Not in this household sadly...
    The black 'doghair' finish Collings do would probably be my second favourite paint job on these after the orange though... You see a similar thing on some 60's Epiphones, I think they called it 'silver fox'!
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15967
    3.26k is light...is there some weight relief going on there?
    tae be or not tae be