A wow Straturday for me! - Update.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    Congrats.  I saw Miller Anderson quite a few times fronting the Keef Hartley Band, about '69-'70. 
    Great guitarist, I always wondered what happened to him. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Did you get him to sign it?

Or give you a wee note or something. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CoffeeAndTVCoffeeAndTV Frets: 433
    Great story and you’ve got a great looking guitar too! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Definitely a ‘wow’. An apparently ordinary 90s Fender that actually isn’t ordinary at all. Quite a history!

What are the pickups? Staggered polepieces aren’t the original (and rather bland) ones, which is probably a good thing…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    ICBM said:
    Definitely a ‘wow’. An apparently ordinary 90s Fender that actually isn’t ordinary at all. Quite a history!

What are the pickups? Staggered polepieces aren’t the original (and rather bland) ones, which is probably a good thing…
    They have custom shop stickers on, maybe fat 50s ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    munckee said:

They have custom shop stickers on, maybe fat 50s ?
    Could be - if so, much better than the originals. Even better if the TBX control has been removed as well. (A dual-gang pot with a ‘notch’ you can feel at the 5 position for the middle/bridge tone control, if you’re not familiar with it.) If it’s still there, the quickest and easiest way to improve the sound is to cut one lead of the 82K resistor on it - leave it in place so you can resolder it if you decided to put it back.

I took the TBX out of my ‘94 Strat, which did help, but at the time I didn’t realise how poor the pickups were. If I had, I might have kept it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5041
    edited April 2023
    Great story, enjoy the Strat! Miller used to advertise stuff from time to time in the Guitarist mag classifieds many years ago and I went to his house in Shoreham once for a possible trade, which didn’t happen in the end. He seemed a nice guy and I recall he had a beautiful Gibson J45 with rosewood back and sides in the room, among various other guitars.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • FezFez Frets: 524
    Lovely story happy new guitar day.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3553
    Cracking story and a lovely shade of red. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2528
    Bloody hell mate you have been a busy boy! Did he have anything else up for sale? ;)
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    As an update to this story I have kept in touch with Miller off and on and he started to regret selling me the strat, not because it was his favourite guitar but because of the history, he is going back to the venue in Germany in April to play again and eventually I said he could buy the strat back, its lovely but I can get a strat anywhere and this one meant a lot to him.

The reason for the update was I met him today to hand the strat over and he showed me a poster from when he was in a band called Savoy Brown, 50 years ago tonight he played Madison Square Garden supporting Deep Purple!!!
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lawriejones1Lawriejones1 Frets: 137
    munckee said:
    As an update to this story I have kept in touch with Miller off and on and he started to regret selling me the strat, not because it was his favourite guitar but because of the history, he is going back to the venue in Germany in April to play again and eventually I said he could buy the strat back, its lovely but I can get a strat anywhere and this one meant a lot to him.

The reason for the update was I met him today to hand the strat over and he showed me a poster from when he was in a band called Savoy Brown, 50 years ago tonight he played Madison Square Garden supporting Deep Purple!!!

Seems lovely it got back to its rightful owner. We are mere custodians of these things in the end.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom