Voting for Solo of the Month (SotM) #93

What's Hot
Welcome to the voting thread for Solo of the Month (SotM) #93. Feel free to vote and comment in this thread.

Thanks to @flying_pie for providing the backing track for this one.

Vote for your top 3 entries. If you're an entrant you can't vote for yourself.

1st choice gets 5 points
2nd choice gets 3 points
3rd choice gets 1 point

Voting will end at midnight 30th April 2023.

The top three will be announced after the voting closes. No prizes. It's just for fun.

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    @flying_pie (or anyone else), if you still want to send an entry, I can still add it to the playlist.

You just might lose out on votes from those that have voted before you submit your entry.

It's not a competition.
  • Another rockin' crop of solo's  :)

5 points @stratman3142 - loved the squealing EVH 'isms , tapping figure 0:18 - 0:29 and harmonised lines

3 points @Bellycaster - fit the backing perfect , tasty and understated in the right places. 
    Was that a Thundercat swished by at the start ? lol

1 point @Bennyboy-UK - 80's chorus sound and a guitar heroes approach - sublime!

sorry i ran out of points @fastonebaz ; great pyrotechnics and wizardry , @flying_pie a fab solo to your backing and @maharg101 i loved that phasey sound and melodic approach
    5 points : @DigitalDave : Sweet tone. Melodic with nice touches of shred. Started off a bit 'Alan Murphy' then went into 'Eric Johnson' zone with interval leaps and a blooming tone.

3 points : @Bellycaster: I find myself agreeing with what's been already said above. Melodic, nice tone. Good fit to the backing. Understated and not flashy.

1 point : @fastonebaz :  Flashy :) shred fest. Loads of attitude. Lots of fun.

It's not a competition.
    Voting ends tomorrow (Sunday 30th April) at midnight.

It's not a competition.
    Voting closes tonight at midnight.

Anyone can vote, plus here's a shout out to the following entrants that haven't voted yet:
    @Bellycaster
    @fastonebaz
    @maharg101
    @flying_pie
    @Bennyboy-UK

It's not a competition.
  • maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    5 points: @Bellycaster love the comb filter (?) intro and everything just fits so well with the backing without going gung-ho
    3 points:  @DigitalDave fantastic mood throughout, the tone and mix is spot on
    1 point: @Bennyboy-UK beautiful tone and great playing

Special mentions, in no particular order to @fastonebaz, ;@stratman3142, and @flying_pie who could easily have featured in my top three on repeat listens - this was a tough one to judge as all the entries were inspiring.

This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5854
    Tasty stuff all round here.

5 Points @stratman3142 - Loved the tone and the Tapfest. Nice dual Guitar layering as well. Very skilful, fluid solo.

3 Points @Bennyboy-UK - Another classic 80's tone on offer here. Nice bit trem work and some unleashed shreddy lines.

1 Point @DigitalDave - I liked the "distant" nature of the Guitar in the mix. A very complex bit of playing that is made to sound effortless. As said before, there are some lovely Eric Johnson style phrases later on.

A great range of tones laid down here. Like the flanged tone of @maharg101 , the haunting tone of @flying_pie and of course, the wild tone of @fastonebaz ;

Some have asked about the "Thundercat" Swoosh  :) at the start of my solo. It was just pissing around while I was pondering and listening to the backing in Cubase. I loaded up something called Tranceformer, a ring modulator and started messing around with settings and wiping my fingers down the full length of the strings in time with the beat. I thought it sounded a bit 80's in a sort of Sigue Sigue Sputnik style so I left it in.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    FWIW this backing track borrows heavily from the chord structure of Hungry Eyes but tried to make it a bit Jake E Lee/EVH style. So, bearing in mind the inspiration, my voting takes into account there need for classic 80s leads with a bit of happy cheesiness.

5 points @stratman3142 - just brilliant. Has everything - whammy bar licks, harmony guitars, tapping, flashy licks and great phrasing

3 points @Bellycaster for, as the others days, a great fit

1 points @Bennyboy-UK for great tone and great chops

Sorry to everyone else. Always a close call and there is plenty to nick for the future from you all  !

• Bennyboy-UKBennyboy-UK Frets: 1726
    V quickly - more notes later
    5 @DigitalDave ;
    3 @Bellycaster ;
    1 @stratman3142 ;
    I'm always looking for interesting USA Hamers for sale.

At the moment I'm looking for:
    * Hamer Watson, SS2, Vintage S, T62.
    * Music Man Luke 1, Luke II

Please drop me a message.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4099
    5pts @Bellycaster jolly splendid playing,  upbeat and fun, nice work

3pts @DigitalDave ; gorgeous tone and v fitting melodies and phrasing, great use of space and sustained notes

1pts @Bennyboy-UK ;cool tone like early WASP. Giving it the berries ace

They were all excellent. 

Voting closed.

It's not a competition.