PSA: Imgur - anonymous image deletion

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
edited April 2023 in Off Topic
FYI to anyone uploading photos with Imgur. You need to have an account going forwards - they're about to delete the archive of anonymously-posted images. You can still have an account that uses made up personal info if you don't want to give them anything, but you'll need to have an account

https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029

https://techcrunch.com/2023/04/20/imgur-will-ban-explicit-images-on-its-platform-this-month/ ;

https://me.mashable.com/apps-and-software/27426/imgur-to-remove-explicit-images-and-old-content
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72347
    That’s very annoying. Luckily being a bit obsessive I have the originals of everything I’ve uploaded saved, but presumably it will mean having to re-upload them and edit the links in the posts.

Just when I’d forgotten what a hassle doing the same thing was when Photofuckit decided they wanted money for their crap service...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    Yeah, seems they're looking to increase attractiveness to advertisers, and that means "engagement" or whatever. The new owners (since 2021 iirc) don't seem to realise the value in a site like that is in its current form, not in turning it into all the other generic ad/spam-filled meme websites that are hated by anyone rational
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 629
    I’ve only ever used it when I’ve wanted to post an image here, and it’s no great hardship to create an account so I can continue to do that, I guess. 

But it sounds like a lot of useful content is going to disappear from guitar forums (and all sorts of others, I assume) overnight.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited April 2023
    I’ve got an account, and almost always upload to my account.. only once, quite recently, I did one anonymously.. I can’t remember what, how, or why, but there it is.. I don’t suppose it matters that much that it’ll get binned, seeing as I can’t remember what it was, or where I linked it to.. but grateful for the information, all the same..
    im going to be wracking my brains, now, what’s left of them… 3

edit: just remembered.. short clip of dash cam footage for an email.. too big a file to attach, and I was on my laptop, rather than my phone..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Still a bit miffed that they’re changing the site, though..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

@digitalscream & co, should this be stickied for a bit in case people want to grab their old tfb content before the axe falls?

(I might be overestimating the number of threads/posts that will be affected, just because I've never used another host or bothered to make an Imgur account.)
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26585
    barnstorm said:
    @digitalscream & co, should this be stickied for a bit in case people want to grab their old tfb content before the axe falls?

(I might be overestimating the number of threads/posts that will be affected, just because I've never used another host or bothered to make an Imgur account.)
    Honestly, I'm in two minds. On the one hand, it's a good PSA.

On the other, it could read like a sales pitch for people to subscribe here, which feels a bit gauche.
    <space for hire>
    barnstorm said:

On the other, it could read like a sales pitch for people to subscribe here, which feels a bit gauche.
    I wouldn't have read it that way if I'd come to it cold, FWIW – and given that this seems to be a cycle the internet is doomed to repeat every few years, it would be pretty unreasonable to take issue with the forum offering an option that brings image-hosting in-house.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72347
    Re-hosting them here is the obvious permanent solution for me, since almost all the pics I’ve uploaded are for use here, so the only long-term risk is if the forum itself folds, in which case it won’t matter anyway…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    barnstorm said:

Cross referenced: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/how-to-post-pics-etc#latest
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited April 2023
    I can’t understand why , if you want to use an effectively free service, you should object to letting the people who provide it, know who you are? They have to fund it somehow. 

The value of the site is what it generates for its owners,  cash is best, as spending exposure and kudos is a bit tricky.

Sure it will be annoying that previously  unattributed pictures will disappear, but unless it’s of earth shattering importance, it’s done it’s job after the first million views? And if was so important why not credit/ register the image?

You sign up to put your music and videos on the web why not pictures?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    TBH I didn't know you could use it without setting up a user ID,  everytime I tried to see other forumites pics, I couldnt, until I signed up (free)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7233
    I've already started encountering threads here with black image placeholders and white text:

• RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    edited April 2023
    The infrastructure to reliably host and serve millions of photos doesn’t come cheap, and Imgur’s owners need to fund it somehow. The options are selling subscriptions or serving ads (or both).

I don’t have a problem with them enforcing accounts to use the service, especially since they are trying to clean up their act in terms of illicit content. Any service that allows free and anonymous image uploads is going to end up serving some stuff that advertisers won’t want to be anywhere near.

I appreciate that deleting anonymous images will break a lot of forum posts and the like, but an anonymous upload to an image hosting site is about as ephemeral as it gets. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26585
    edited April 2023
    OK, I'm gonna go ahead and sticky this one - the argument's reasonable, and there's a lot of Imgur images on here.

@stickyfiddle - I've edited the thread title to more effectively grab attention. Hope you don't mind!
    <space for hire>
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27002
    Yep all good :)
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    OK, I'm gonna go ahead and sticky this one - the argument's reasonable, and there's a lot of Imgur images on here.

@stickyfiddle - I've edited the thread title to more effectively grab attention. Hope you don't mind!
    7 amazing tricks to lose belly fat - you won't believe number 5!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichACRichAC Frets: 744
    roberty said:

Post a picture of it on Imgur… it’ll be gone in days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4526
    roberty said:

Buy a guitar with a tummy cut, and don't worry about it?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    If I could actuskky upload to imgur I'd be happy but on mobile it just never ever uploads, so frustrating, how much is it a month to upload to here directly?