One gig only Award JD10 Content : Now a voyage of adventure! Joyo American and Sansamp GT2

What's Hot
maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
edited May 2023 in FX
This is a bonkers situation but real life.  Background: Mrs M and I are playing a gig for a mates wedding in a very listed building with very strict limitations on what we can use . We had to submit in advance the power draw of the kit Pa and lights which we intended to use for approval.

So guitars are Mrs.M’s. Rickenbacker 12 and my Musicman straight into the PA. The problem is in order for the guitars to sound right,Ricky clean and jangly with no honk, Music man full with a bit off crunch. the only pedal I have in my armoury which  delivers what I want for both guitars and is battery powered is my Award Session jd10 ( it’s been my backup amp for 20 plus years). I only have one and need 2 , . So what are the alternatives under £100 runs on batteries for at least 2 hours, mains power not an option. 

I have a boss me50 but that sounded rubbish 

Did have ideas about an original sansamp but their prices are ridiculous 
www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1267
    I'm a JD10 user myself but don't know what's currently available that's battery powered.

One option is to make a battery box for 6 AA batteries (6 x 1.5V = 9V) like the one I used to power a small board for some outdoor gigs, shown here ...

Cheap and readily available from eBay, Amazon, etc. Just need to solder a barrel plug on the end and you can easily power any low-current pedal for many hours. The one above powered the whole board for a whole gig no problem.

I also made a second 8 battery box for rechargeables (8 x 1.2V = 9.6V)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Something like a joy american sound might do what you want?

• John_P said:

Interesting any idea of battery life?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:

I've never gigged one but the spec says is has a running current of 3.8mA so I'd imagine a battery last a fair while. 
  • @digitalscream runs his hx stomp off a rechargeable power supply.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4801
    edited April 2023
    I do open mics with a Fly Rig Acoustic that's plugged into a Harley Benton USB-charged 9v DC battery. At the low current draw of the Fly Rig, I've run it for 2 hours without a problem. 

Edit: Outside the budget, I know, but I just wanted you to know even the most power-hungry Tech 21 pedal isn't that bad with the right battery. So maybe someone could lend you a Fly Rig for a couple of days? 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27159
    Borrowed Yamaha THR? or the Line6 Pocket POD runs on batteries iirc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    The Sansamp TRI-AC comes up quite often 2nd hand, sounds really good straight into a PA and you effectively get 3 channels/sounds, no reverb though. Running a pedal board with pedaltrain Volto or Sanyo Eneloop works well too.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9849
    John_P said:

I'm not sure but to be fair, you could get 4 or 5 of them for your £100!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Bad Monkey.
    They're just about affordable again.
  • yorkioyorkio Frets: 173
    Why don’t you just pick up another JD10? I’m sure they can’t be much on eBay. You’d also be welcome to borrow my Matchbox, which I suspect is probably very similar - and definitely battery powered too.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 923
    John_P said:

Seconded. I've not used mine for ages, but used to take it to jam night once a month, and general back-up in case of issues. Purely analogue, very low current draw, really don't remember it burning through batteries.
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3144
    edited April 2023
    yorkio said:
    Why don’t you just pick up another JD10? I’m sure they can’t be much on eBay. You’d also be welcome to borrow my Matchbox, which I suspect is probably very similar - and definitely battery powered too.
    Yup this was the plan, and I do have a WTB ad in the FX£. However t thought I’d run it past you lot first to see if there was anything I didn’t know about ie the Joyo .       

www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • @rich75 has kindly sold me another jd10 so this is sorted, however also currently in the eBay lead on a Joyo! Busses eh!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Those AMT Legend pedals seem to be about £80ish used, though they are amp specific,
    edited May 2023
    So, a very good mate of mine dropped round Sansamp Gt2 last night , wow very impressed first off. And I’ve won the Joyo on eBay for £30. So give me a few days and I’ll let you know where I end up!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2023
    Now have the Joyo, @rich75 JD10, my JD10 and mates Sansamp GT2, The gig is on Friday.
    First off the board on rich’s JD is a modification of my original as Session released a Gordon Giltrap signature JD after I bought mine, and obviously used the same board with mods for both. This makes no difference as far as I can hear , just being an anorak as noticed when I put a new battery clip in .@Sessionman can fill this bit in.

The GT2 really impressed out of the box, but the more I played with it the more frustrated I got as it couldn’t quite match what I was hearing from the session.

The Joyo has just blown me away , what a really nice warm pedal and works brilliantly with both guitars, both clean and dirty and so cheap!

. However it works best with the Ricky .

The session was/is the benchmark and is just spot on for the Morse, although the Joyo is possibly warmer when used clean.

So Joyo and both JD10’s going to the gig ( one as a spare)

For completion sake these pedals were tested, as they will be used, through a Soundcraft Signature 10 desk into an HK Lucas Nano

Final thought every gigging musician should have one or other of these in their gig bag as  a backup, at £30 odd quid for the Joyo it’s a no brainer!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7363
    How did the gig go, and in particular how did the Joyo American Sound work out?
    edited May 2023
    BillDL said:
    How did the gig go, and in particular how did the Joyo American Sound work out?
    Next Friday mate
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7363
    I wish there was a "Doh!" button so I could mark my comment above as such.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom