Mackie SRM150

andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
Has anyone tried one of these instead of IEMs as a way of having enough of just their guitar when playing live?

The idea is that the venue's wedge would be used for the overall mix, and the SRM150 tweaked so I could hear myself clearly....mounts on a mic stand...https://mackie.com/en/products/loudspeakers/srm150/SRM150.html
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    I think put your amp close to you angled up so you can hear it is a cheaper more elegant solution 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8706
    Small monitor speakers like those worry me. They sound so different from what’s coming out of the main speakers. There’s a risk you’ll compensate for what you hear by turning down the treble on your guitar, and FoH will then sound muddy.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • andyg_prsandyg_prs Frets: 57
    Yeah, I get it.  However, my set up is Guitar > Pedalboard > Engl Ironball > CaptorX > FoH. 

I don't use a cab...not just laziness, but I hate the inconsistency of cab mic'ing.....far prefer presenting an XLR with exactly what I need.

My sounds are set and I won't be changing the eq.  Sometimes on stage I struggle with hearing myself clearly and it varies depending on the song and what the other guitarist is playing; if we have a similar sound / part, it's harder to hear myself.

It's actually far worse in rehearsal than live.  I tried IEMs for the last rehearsal.  I could hear myself, but the isolation was a big change for me, and I actually missed some cues in a way that I never normally do.

So, the SRM150 is for just more of me and me being able to reach out and tweak should I need.  Absolutely I expect the guitar to sound tinnier...and tinier through it.....but then again, I'd expect to sound less tinny than the IEMs.

We'll see, I got a stonking deal for a pair of SRM150s secondhand and will be in a position to play around with them in a couple of weeks.

I'll report back :)

Cheers,
    Andy