Satriani on a Lester - seriously

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    Rocker said:
    That is exactly the drivel that is, for some, guitar playing. I have always thought that music and Satriani were distant cousins. Very distant cousins. 

The thread isn't about if you like Satriani so keep it to yourself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:
    That is exactly the drivel that is, for some, guitar playing. I have always thought that music and Satriani were distant cousins. Very distant cousins. 
    Yeah, yeah, I know, B.B. King, Paul Kossoff, Peter Green, just one note, etc etc.

But if you can't appreciate the sheer joy of this young man's playing, then it's your loss.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    edited July 2023
    Rocker said:

I think it’s pretty widely acknowledged that Satriani has a very natural harmonic and melodic understanding that has produced some memorable songs; a fantastic sense of rhythm, which gives his music a lot of groove and feel; and of course he’s a true collaborator who has worked with many other brilliant musicians, giving us some notable recorded and live performances. I wouldn’t think there’d be much doubt about him being a natural musician, especially amongst other musicians. Of course, that doesn’t mean we all have to like him, and he may be running out of ideas after all these years, so his later albums are possibly repetitious. But yep, he’s a natural all right. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 535
    Rocker said:
    Yeah, he’s no Rick Parfitt. Probably all that jazz training and encyclopaedic musical knowledge that has reduced him to drivel. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:
    You not even like the riffs in there @Rocker ?

I think its got some cracking ones. I'm not a Satriani fan per se - but first heard Surfin' on a rock compilation album (without having a bull's notion who it was) and thought it was brilliant. Doctors differ as they say
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1347
    Seeing this thread actually had me reaching for my  credit card, making Jeff Bezos's bank balance just that little bit bigger and purchasing the Jam With Joe Satriani book.

I used to have the Surfing... tab book but I guess like most here learnt the signature licks and gave up.
    Now I've got a "little" more command of the instrument I'm now learning the stuff note for note. 
    A 22 fret guitar is essential - he uses every last inch of the fretboard.

My god there's a multitude of techniques he employs in the services of real songs.
    I'd forgotten just what a fantastic creative (and melodic) player he is.
    What's more with a bit of practice it's attainable - as in the vid in the OP's post.

It's become fashionable of late to bash on Satriani ("never written a song as good as Louis Louis", Blackmore's "never really searching for notes") - not to mention general toolery on here. How very wrong they are.

I've spent the weekend revisiting that ingenious intro riff from Circles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5doS06EH-w
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    AK99 said:
    Rocker said:

I think its got some cracking ones. I'm not a Satriani fan per se - but first heard Surfin' on a rock compilation album (without having a bull's notion who it was) and thought it was brilliant. Doctors differ as they say
    In order to get to like the riffs @AK99 I would have to hear them first. There might well be some crackers in there but they are coated with drivel and masked by technique. 

I have always maintained that a guitar is a very poor musical instrument, excellent at backing a singer, but virtually useless on its own. It appeals to young males who are easily impressed. 

The sad aspect is that there are good and harmonically pleasing sounds to be got from a guitar. Very few guitar players seem to know where these notes are. 

BTW, my response was not written to generate conflict or annoyance to anyone. Most members here already know my opinions about guitar music..... (I play guitar, bass and a few chords on a piano, so I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Rocker said:
    AK99 said:
    Rocker said:

In order to get to like the riffs @AK99 I would have to hear them first. There might well be some crackers in there but they are coated with drivel and masked by technique. 

I have always maintained that a guitar is a very poor musical instrument, excellent at backing a singer, but virtually useless on its own. It appeals to young males who are easily impressed. 

The sad aspect is that there are good and harmonically pleasing sounds to be got from a guitar. Very few guitar players seem to know where these notes are. 

BTW, my response was not written to generate conflict or annoyance to anyone. Most members here already know my opinions about guitar music..... (I play guitar, bass and a few chords on a piano, so I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like)
    And this time tomorrow you'll be visiting your local Indian restaurant to announce that you don't like curry, followed by a brief follow-up lecture
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1585
    edited May 2023
    Rocker said:

If you listen to the first 20 seconds of the video - it has the main riff, and nothing else. It does drive the song (can I call it that with no vocals ?) throughout - you can't really miss it

As rock guitar riffs go, a pretty damn good'un if you ask me!
  • spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    My Nan always said "If you got nothing nice to say then say nothing" , if you don't like it don't comment on it, it serves no purpose. She was hard as nails my nan.
    I like a bit of Satriani, its all ingredients to stir into the pot as far as I'm concerned.
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    His pick technique is reminiscent of Pat Metheny.

• EvoEvo Frets: 308
    Rocker said:

I am commenting on the guitar, despite my limited playing ability on it, but with a firm idea of the sounds I like
    And apparently a need to make sure everybody knows about it when you think they’re having fun wrong…
    CaseOfAce said:
    Seeing this thread actually had me reaching for my  credit card, making Jeff Bezos's bank balance just that little bit bigger and purchasing the Jam With Joe Satriani book.

If that’s the book I think it is (blue cover), then I have a whole new respect for that publication after speaking with Jamie Humphries about when he recorded the guitar parts. 

Let’s just say it was far from an easy day at the office for him that day!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24341
    "Masked by technique" might be a candidate for the dumbest comment I've ever seen on a music forum.
    "Masked by technique" might be a candidate for the dumbest comment I've ever seen on a music forum.
    This reminds me of the time I stood in for some mates in a Quo tribute band. Feel free to go and get a biscuit if you don't like long anecdotes but I do like sharing stories. 

It was all very last minute (as these stand in gigs often are), we're squeezing in our first and only rehearsal two days before the gig. I was told to learn the Rossi part in "whatever you want", so that's what I did. Only when I got to the rehearsal, the other guy only knew the Rossi part...leaving me a little irritated and the song "intro-less". 

"No problem" I happily chimed, I've been playing whatever you want for a good 15 years or so now and whilst I'm not in a quo tribute band like these guys...I'm confident I can handle the WYW intro. 

Cue wasting a good 20 minutes of a 2hr rehearsal as this goldilocks of a guitarist insists on rehashing this intro over and over until it sounds "right". Now, I don't mean to blow my own trumpet here but I'm hitting all the right notes. I'm not blagging it, there's no "close enough" going on, the arpeggios are ringing, it's all sounding fine to me. I'm getting exasperated in the corner, trying everything I can think of on this damn intro. Letting notes ring more, letting notes ring less, more palm mute, less palm mute, different pickups, the whole kitchen sink until eventually he pipes up...

"It's too perfect"

It was at this point my only remaining options were to politely suggest he take the intro, or to take a louder, more animated, and entirely more unprofessional approach. I opted for the former.

I swear, he then proceeded to cock that intro right up a good 5-6 times in a row. Bum notes, muted fluffs, dropping turds all over the shop!

Sorry for the ramble, I'm sure most folks probably aren't interested in what I get up to but "Masked by technique" reminded me too much of "it's too perfect" so I thought I'd share. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I remember a clearly bitter music journo complaining about Vai like that.

He actually said that the problem with Vai was that there was zero chance of a mistake. Nothing is beyond him so there is no fear based excitement / anticipation of whether he could get through a tune or whether it would all go wrong.

Bitter Journo was upset that there was no chance of failure.

Strange way to admit that professionalism isn't his own goal in life!
  • I remember a clearly bitter music journo complaining about Vai like that.

He actually said that the problem with Vai was that there was zero chance of a mistake. Nothing is beyond him so there is no fear based excitement / anticipation of whether he could get through a tune or whether it would all go wrong.

Bitter journo was talking bollocks of course. When I saw Vai last year he fucked up an intro to a song and had to restart it, all done with good humour about him being rusty. 

This is why I never watch classical concerts with such unmusical clods as Kissin, Lugansky, Vengerov, Hough, Rattle, Gergiev, Barenboim, etc., nor the RPO, Berlin Philharmonic, etc. Total waste of time. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Bitter journo was talking bollocks of course. When I saw Vai last year he fucked up an intro to a song and had to restart it, all done with good humour about him being rusty. 
    I was at the show that ended up being Vai live at the Astoria.

He broke a string on one of them and had to start again too. Didn't phase him in the slightest. Had a good laugh about it.

I was at the show that ended up being Vai live at the Astoria.

He broke a string on one of them and had to start again too. Didn't phase him in the slightest. Had a good laugh about it.
    Oooh I was there. Great soundcheck!