1x15 cab. Pro's & cons

Hi folks, Been thinking about building a 1x15 cab to run with my fender bandmaster reverb head. I've never plugged into one before so don't really have a clue on how it might sound with said amp. I currently use a homemade, open back pine 4x10 cab loaded with Jensen p10r's. I would probably sway towards an Alnico 15" speaker for weight reasons. So anyone out there using a 1x15? Any thoughts/advice on this. Cheers!
The Swamp City Shakers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• @DavidRees had a 1x15 built by Zilla (I think) so he would be worth asking.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3594
    Depending on the individual driver and box combination, it will likely sound warmer with a lower mid peak. Probably work better with a bright (single coil PU) guitar rather than a humbucker if the guitar is a bit 'dull'.
    They are popular with steel/pedal guitarists.

Can't be more specific I'm afraid.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72505
    edited September 2013
    They're usually clean and powerful-sounding, often with a surprising amount of top-end - more low-mids than the 10s definitely, but also more scooped and brighter than you may expect.

If you can find and afford one, I'd definitely consider a JBL 15" - they're heavy though. But it would be the classic 'big Fender' sound - you'd essentially have a mini Single Showman.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited September 2013
    Cheers chaps! Liking the sound of this. Was looking at the Jensen p15n priced around £150. How much do those jbl's go for. Sound expensive! What about cab choice. I could cut a new baffle for my existing cab but was thinking a 15 might perform better in closed back???
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

Big fan of 15" speakers.  Currently have an old Celestion, modern Celestion, Jensen P15n, and a JBL. 

Agree with ICBM  re the 15" JBL; nothing else will give you that big Fender sound; you feel it in your chest as much as hear it. 

The Jensen is more scooped than the JBL and has more top and I find it a little brittle other than with Tweed Circuits, where it really does work very well.  Closed back definitely increases the power and punch and attenuates the highs a little.

You should be able to find a decent second hand JBL for the new price of the Jensen.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1638
    I have a 15" 200W Fane bass driver in a 6cu ft ported cab (built to Cellie's specc!) and that sounds very smooth driven from an HT-20......Not dull! Just smooooooth!

Dave.