Slotted bone bridge pins

What's Hot
I may need to a set of these but not sure the best place to buy good high quality ones in UK is... Any recommendations? Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    I am basically trying a guitar out shortly but it looks like it may have brass pins (!) so I could potentially take it home under 14 day rule, replace the pins and see if sounds better or not :)

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    You’ll need to know the taper of the pins. What guitar is it? Someone may have the same model and be able to help. But given your second post you may not want to say. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5451
    drofluf said:
    You’ll need to know the taper of the pins. What guitar is it? Someone may have the same model and be able to help. But given your second post you may not want to say. 
    Well, we know his habits. I reckon it's either a Larrivee, or else a Larrivee. :)

Chances are that it will go fine with pins borrowed from one of his others. 
    Larrivee haha :) 
    I guess I could remove the pins from another, bit of a pain, though. 
    Slacken off the strings (you can leave them on), then reach into the sound hole to push the pins out out with your finger (trick ® @ICBM). ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Btw if removing ALL strings should one not adjust the truss rod to account for lack of tension on the neck? I can never remember which way lol
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited May 2023
    @thomasross20 ; I get bone bridge pins from JP Guitars. Happy with them.

There's also Small Wonder and Chris Alsop but I have no experience of either. 

The bridge pins King (IMO) is Bob Colosi but he's in the US.

EDIT: Alsop may only offer wooden bridge pins. 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    Btw if removing ALL strings should one not adjust the truss rod to account for lack of tension on the neck? I can never remember which way lol
    Unless you plan to leave it for a few months then no. 
    Thanks, guys! Will check JP Guitars. 

Ah, I thought the amount of pressure of the neck is IMMENSE so if you remove that even for an hour it really isn't very good for the guitar

As I understand it, you mostly only need to worry much when you have very old, delicate instruments. Rules like "Never change all the strings at once" only apply to them. Or so I believe.
    @thomasross20, ; just before you order, check taper as @drofluf said and remove a bridge pin on one of your Larrivee's. Check if the slot stops at the skirt (collar) or goes through and order the same if you're happy with the fit. 

:) 
    The luthier I use defo tweaks the truss rod a little when removing them all, hmm. 
    I wish I could just order them direct from Larrivee but U.S. shipping is crazy - I'll check into that, thanks!
    edited May 2023
    Here you go:
    .210", 3 degree, slotted through skirt.

How'd you get that info!? :) 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3496
    How'd you get that info!? :) 
    It's on the Colosi site. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    I would say specifically that you *shouldn’t* take the tension off the truss rod if you’re just restringing, cleaning or whatever - it will cause far more stability problems before it settles down again when you put the tension back on.

Yes if you’re going to leave it with no strings for weeks, or ship it through climatic changes where it will certainly need adjusting at the other end anyway, otherwise no.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@thomasross20, ;just put "bridge pins size chart" and Google it.

:) 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 743
    edited May 2023
    In answer to question @thomasross20 ;;. Amazon.

Bone pins are cheap so you can just buy a set or two until you find the ideal ones for the particular acoustic you're modding. On the different guitars need different sizes thing? A counsel of perfection really. Over the years I have accumulated several sets of different materials and just tend to swap in and out of the different acoustics I have had, with an emphasis on bone which I usually like best for tone and which fit OK'ish. Others will say that's not good, pins need to fit snug for good contact etc. but, in my experience, the process of tightening the string ensures good contact with the bridge even when the pins are a little loose. Slight looseness certainly doesn't interfere with the mechanism of holding the string end in, especially if you ensure the pins are kept pushed down during tightening. Tightening itself usually wedges the pin in firmly.

I like these ones best as a rule with jolly abalone bits!
    Crosby Pure Bone Bridge Pins with Abalone Dot Inlay for 6 & 12 String Acoustic Guitar : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

There are others
    VANSON High Quality Bone Bridge Pins for Acoustic Guitars/String Pegs/Plain (Slotted) : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

Sometimes you get freebies too
    Donner Guitar Bridge Pins 6PCS Acoustic Guitar Cattle Bone Bridge Pins Inlaid 3mm Green Abalone Dot with Guitar Pins Puller, Acoustic Guitar DIY Replacement Parts : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

Hope you find/have found some good ones for you.

:-)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    DavidR said:

On the different guitars need different sizes thing? A counsel of perfection really. Over the years I have accumulated several sets of different materials and just tend to swap in and out of the different acoustics I have had, with an emphasis on bone which I usually like best for tone and which fit OK'ish. Others will say that's not good, pins need to fit snug for good contact etc. but, in my experience, the process of tightening the string ensures good contact with the bridge even when the pins are a little loose. Slight looseness certainly doesn't interfere with the mechanism of holding the string end in, especially if you ensure the pins are kept pushed down during tightening. Tightening itself usually wedges the pin in firmly.
    A lot of people who don’t understand how the pin holds the string in place think they need to be a tight fit - this can often lead to them getting stuck if pushed in too hard.

In fact, the perfect fit is when they *just* grip when pushed down fully to the head, but can still be easily pulled out with your fingers. Once the ball is pulling against the *side* and not the end of the pin, they’re locked in place as you say. If the pin pops out when you tighten the string, it’s almost always because the ball is in the wrong place, not because the pin is too loose.

If they’re *really* loose then that sometimes doesn’t quite work, but they have to be basically rattling around in the holes for that to happen. Although if the bridgeplate hole is chewed up underneath, it sometimes can even if the pin is the right fit.

Too tight so they won’t go fully down to the head is also wrong. I couldn’t possibly count the number of acoustics I’ve worked on with damaged or broken-off pins and gouged bridges because they’ve been jammed in so tight they won’t shift, and then the owner tries to use pliers or something to pull them out. Even then, the solution is simply to slacken all the strings and use a coin or a pick held on your finger tip to push them out from the inside…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Well I wont be needing the pins BUT I'm glad I started the thread as, as ever, a lot of amazing info from very knowledgeable folk - thank you!