BOSS - SDE- 3000EVH

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 898
Well, well:

EVH and BOSS join forces to bring you the SDE-3000EVH Dual Digital Delay, an authentic recreation of the stereo delays at the heart of Eddie Van Halen’s massive three-cabinet live stage guitar sound. Based on the vintage Roland SDE-3000 rackmount delay, this powerhouse processor puts two fully featured SDE-3000s in one floor-based pedal, coupled with extensive connectivity to build a wet/dry/wet rig just like Eddie’s. You also get eight presets curated by EVH with the exact settings from his actual delay units, allowing you to experience the master’s expansive spatial delay tone in your own setup.

http://www.boss.info/global/products/sde-3000evh/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EYgPfFeLR0

Pete Thorn involved in this project too.

Just when I didn`t want to buy anything else!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24742
    £539 at Andertons.

I'm getting too old for this.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • damm73damm73 Frets: 361
    Typical...literally the day after I order an H90 this comes along.  Damn your eyes Pete Thorn. 

Also am I understanding this correctly - the EVH one is an extra 90 quid for a bunch of presets?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31039
    Colour me super interested

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33884
    I suspect those switches will break, esp for people who gig.

Alpha pots are better in floor pedals- anything that can let water (or beer) in so easily is going to be problematic down the line.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 898
    damm73 said:
    Typical...literally the day after I order an H90 this comes along.  Damn your eyes Pete Thorn. 

Also am I understanding this correctly - the EVH one is an extra 90 quid for a bunch of presets?
    I thought that - but looking at the back the standard on only has stereo outs - the EVH has dry / L / R outs o run the full W/D/W rig that all of us serious players take down the dog and duck every sat night :-)

Me too - I`ve had my 30 seconds of `ooooh - I could buy another amp and cab and run the full rig for rock gigs!` and I`m back to the real world where 50 yr old me really can`t be arsed to put it all in the car.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 643
    damm73 said:

And stripes.

You mustn't forget the stripes.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:

I thought that - but looking at the back the standard on only has stereo outs - the EVH has dry / L / R outs o run the full W/D/W rig that all of us serious players take down the dog and duck every sat night :-)

Me too - I`ve had my 30 seconds of `ooooh - I could buy another amp and cab and run the full rig for rock gigs!` and I`m back to the real world where 50 yr old me really can`t be arsed to put it all in the car.

Fair enough. 50 year old me (next month!) will almost certainly want to find out what the full W/D/W sounds like down the dog and duck. I'm already running stereo all the time despite the hassle so this will just mean one extra lunchbox amp head and 1x12 cab. 
    damm73 said:
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:

Fair enough. 50 year old me (next month!) will almost certainly want to find out what the full W/D/W sounds like down the dog and duck. I'm already running stereo all the time despite the hassle so this will just mean one extra lunchbox amp head and 1x12 cab. 
    Good man!

I bet it sounds unbelievably good.

In fact, there a bit in the Pete Thorn vid where he is playing the full W/D/W and you can just see how happy he looks. Think that sums it up for me.

Where abouts in the country is your dog and duck? Will I hear you from sunny Swindon?
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    Milking the corpse of EVH. Does it have analog dry-through or is it a DSP modeller? The noise gate feature makes me suspicious
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    The cynic in me wonders why this modern box is being called an SDE-3000.

When Korg did the pedal version of the SDD3000 that made sense, because the sound of that delay is heavily dependent on the analogue preamp circuit at the input and output. Put that in the pedal with a cosmetic nod to the rack unit, and even though the digital delay algo itself is running on a modern DSP chip with modern A/D and D/A, you can reasonably say "Buy this for the sound of the classic SDD 3k rack unit". It makes sense for them to have lent on the selling power of the name.

Inside this new SDE box, how does it differ from, say, the DD-500 SDE algo? What is the sound of the SDE delay, what makes it sound unique (if indeed it is)? Does this box do that?
    damm73 said:

Also has a dry out for WDW.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4736
    Cirrus said:

When Korg did the pedal version of the SDD3000 that made sense, because the sound of that delay is heavily dependent on the analogue preamp circuit at the input and output. Put that in the pedal with a cosmetic nod to the rack unit, and even though the digital delay algo itself is running on a modern DSP chip with modern A/D and D/A, you can reasonably say "Buy this for the sound of the classic SDD 3k rack unit". It makes sense for them to have lent on the selling power of the name.

Inside this new SDE box, how does it differ from, say, the DD-500 SDE algo? What is the sound of the SDE delay, what makes it sound unique (if indeed it is)? Does this box do that?
    I agree, but then again we have Space Echo's in similar boxes, that have no relation to the original technology, so not reason not to do it with old rack stuff.  

But yes, unless it's the original long chip, with 12 bit conversion it's really a completely different thing, but we live in the age of modelling.  I don't know why a company the size of Roland can not preproduce some of these chips, I'm sure a DD2 'Long Chip' Waza would sell by the bucket load!

What I don't get is why the retro screen?  If you're going with modern DSP, surely it's worth putting a modern screen in so functionality is improved?  You could still have retro fonts.

That said, the 'retro display', will probably last far longer than an oled screen so not all bad.

Anyway, something that does WDW is probably overkill for me putting into the front of a Tweed Deluxe.  
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10912
    I do think it looks cool and I've got nothing against DSP. Latency could be an issue if you're doing complex signal routing, which the unit alludes to. I suppose it's fine if you use all three outputs
    Cirrus said:

I agree, but then again we have Space Echo's in similar boxes, that have no relation to the original technology, so not reason not to do it with old rack stuff.  

But yes, unless it's the original long chip, with 12 bit conversion it's really a completely different thing, but we live in the age of modelling.  I don't know why a company the size of Roland can not preproduce some of these chips, I'm sure a DD2 'Long Chip' Waza would sell by the bucket load!

What I don't get is why the retro screen?  If you're going with modern DSP, surely it's worth putting a modern screen in so functionality is improved?  You could still have retro fonts.

That said, the 'retro display', will probably last far longer than an oled screen so not all bad.

Anyway, something that does WDW is probably overkill for me putting into the front of a Tweed Deluxe.  

It's no coincidence that the Cornish TES uses the SDE/DD2 12 bit long chip.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Cirrus said:

It's no coincidence that the Cornish TES uses the SDE/DD2 12 bit long chip.
    thats because its based around a DD2.... 

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • VoxsupertwinVoxsupertwin Frets: 341
    edited May 2023
    Waste of time and money, Boss et al creating products that are rehashes of other products to keep their business afloat …..
    If you can play then play, if you’re deficient then no amount of pedal/gadget/technology will save you …
    the whole gear business has gone insane !
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:

Good man!

In fact, there a bit in the Pete Thorn vid where he is playing the full W/D/W and you can just see how happy he looks. Think that sums it up for me.

Where abouts in the country is your dog and duck? Will I hear you from sunny Swindon?
    In Stornoway, so about as far from Swindon (and the sun) as you can get unfortunately!
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1707
    damm73 said:
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:
    newi123 said:
    damm73 said:

Good man!

In Stornoway, so about as far from Swindon (and the sun) as you can get unfortunately!

..so just make sure your windows are open... and you'll be golden
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• allenallen Frets: 745
    I’m normally excited about things like this, but not this. 

Feels a bit over-contrived.