Contemplating a Zendrive-alike as 1st pedal project build - advise?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    GuyBoden said:
    Re board mounted pots, they're not necessary, but do make for a fantastically neat and quick build, provided you get the kit with pre-drilled enclosure!

Compare this Fuzz Face with this "birds nest" Fuzz Factory (both pedalparts kits)

DIY Fuzz Face with funky old transistors

Fuzz Factory clone wiring
    Nice, very neat with the board mounted pots. If I'm reusing the enclosure for other experimental projects, I like to put the pots onto the enclosure case. Otherwise I don't think it matters, happy building.
    :)
    Cheers Guy! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    Yeah, in the 2nd pic the PCB is just floating on the wires. There are about 20 connections, so it's fairly solid- it's not even fully wired up in that pic, just enough for testing.

You can get little sticky plastic board stays on some builds (BYOC use these if I recall), which should be better for reliability in theory, but they're not strictly necessary. I wouldn't want to sell them commercially like this but it's fine for my own use.

Equally, I have a tremolo kit I still haven't built that uses a toggle switch for the board mounting. The Les Lius clone from pp uses the same method.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Good pics, and point well made @stickyfiddle.  Nice pedals.

It is still not difficult hand wiring if you have a methodical mindset, which I grant not every one does.  PCB mounted controls are OK in a properly drilled enclosure, but any operational stress goes into the joints and board.  As you can see from the reliability reports of board mounted jacks causing problems in commercially made amps on this very forum, it is not a panacea.  Jacks are probably the worse culprit though.  One other tip, it is immeasurably easier for both the build and any subsequent trouble shooting, especially if it is a complex one, to use a range of different coloured wires, and logically coded makes it more consistent across builds too.

But it should be fine as long as care is taken with the build, and as with anything, look after your gear and it will look after you.

All IMHO obviously.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @stickyfiddle and @ChrisMusic - I keep handing out wisdoms, but am amazed and chuffed by all the great help and encouragement from this thread - really do feel it will give me some advantage when the pedal build gets going, and I will probably need it. :D
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27077
    Wisdom! I'm wary of board mounted footswitches (for hassle of changing them) and jacks (for stress on joints) but pots are ok I think. The only reason I didn't go for the board-mount option on the Factory build was it doesn't fit a battery in the standard MXR-sized enclosure
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited October 2014
    Just rummaging around for pics of my recent builds:

Zero Point Micro Delay and handpainted enclosure - I use Hammerite primer, acrylic paints and then many coats of plastikote clear.

Except this one which is MOP like the Zenduku (actually my Pedalparts Zendrive)

I've got a bit of a Thing for PCBs from guys on the Madbeans forum at the moment - this is a compressor a bit like a Lovesqueeze..

Should be able to post pictures of a Klon and SHO in 1590a enclosures soon :)

One of my problems is  drilling in the right places - I'll rehouse the Zendrive one day get all four lined up :D
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Oh and here's the Little GEM amp - not a Ruby :D

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cool stuff @frankus - of course there is the fun of painting the enclosure to look forward to also, a nice place to add some individuality and get away from that commercial "same as everyone else's" thing. The Zero Point MD looks a bit Van Gogh somehow. :)
    edited October 2014
    Thanks, it's meant to be Starry Night - that's only coat #2 - I try and get it all wrapped up in three coats of acryllics :)

If you get the bug take a look at:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/

Vero designs can be a great way to knock up something quickly - to see if you like it - once you get a parts bin ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:
    Thanks, it's meant to be Starry Night - that's only coat #2 - I try and get it all wrapped up in three coats of acryllics :)

If you get the bug take a look at:

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.co.uk/
    http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/

Vero designs can be a great way to knock up something quickly - to see if you like it - once you get a parts bin ;)
    Cheers for the links, though I must say that fuzz demo at the top of the first one is my idea of guitar tone hell... :D  Will have to try vero at some point - there is a scheme for a Wampler Ecstacy clone I saw somewhere, which I could certainly go for. Totally getting the starry night finish there - ambitious for sure, but I like it, and there won't be many other pedals out there looking like that. :)