Andy Rourke

What's Hot
freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1214
The Smiths and Morrissey bass player has died of pancreatic cancer at 59. He was a great player and a nice guy by all accounts. Very sad.
Link to my trading feedback
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7373
    Oh no. All I've listened to for the last month is The Smiths and my wife was just saying yesterday morning how good the bass is. 
  • oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 868
    edited May 2023
    God, that's terrible news. Brilliant player, probably underrated because Johnny Marr's light burned so bright. R.I.P.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9671
    Very sad news. Going to the funeral of my partner’s brother next week, who died of the same thing at the same age as Andy. It’s a particularly ruthless, cruel, and rapid disease.

Going to have  to sit down and learn this bassline soon.

https://youtu.be/peh6JCBoznk
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 158

Used to often see him at local unsigned band's gigs around Manchester in the 00's. He would chat to anyone who came up to him and he helped a lot of local musicians. Sad to hear he's gone. 

My trading feedback thread
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24849
    Very sad news. RIP
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1685
    sad news indeed.. as a Smith's fan, heaven knows I'm miserable now

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3349
    He was  a lovely man, such sad news.  
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3926
    edited May 2023
    Oh man. That’s a massive part of my youth gone. RIP Andy Rourke.
  • Garold86Garold86 Frets: 123
    He DJ'd a night at our student uni, must be 15 years ago now. Spent about 2 hours with him behind the decks, chewing the fat, talking music and yeah, he was generally just one of the nicest, most humble people I'd ever met. 59 no age whatsoever.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11876
    Absolutely fantastic bassist with one of the greatest bands of all time in his CV...

No way the Smiths would have been the Smiths without him.  He even spruced up some of Moz's better, earlier solo stuff with his playing.

RIP Andy :(
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • By chance I happened to be watching some Smiths live footage yesterday and marveling at how good his playing was. Sad news indeed.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4883
    RIP Andy, great player and a big part of one of my fave bands. Sleep well.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11991
    Just seen this.  Absolutely gutted.  The Smiths were one of my favourite bands of the '80s and I was lucky enough to see them at the RAH circa 1985, supported by James.  WHAT a gig.

I lost a dear friend to pancreatic cancer several years ago and as other have said, it's a truly awful disease,

A tragic loss at an early age.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10455
    Sad news. He was unfairly f#cked by Morrissey and Marr financially, I don't think he ever got what he deserved and he was a huge part of the bands sound. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18979
    edited May 2023
    Very sad to hear this news. I still love The Smiths music, despite Morrissey's subsequent stance & antics.
    Andy Rourke was a brilliant bass player that along with Mike Joyce got royally screwed over by Morrissey & Marr.
    https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/the-smiths-breakup-lawsuit-marr-morrissey-rourke/
    'There Is a Light That Never Goes Out.'   RIP  
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12947
    I'm a bass player more than a guitarist and Andy is one of my heroes. This one hits hard. 
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1566
    This is very very sad - RIP Andy - way too young.

That twelve months from the release of Hand in Glove remains an amazing time. I saw them in 1983 when I went up to college in Norwich - I remember it vividly (now forty years later) as it was one of the most exciting shows ever, and such an eye opener.

The band were so incredibly energised, and Andy as cool as a cucumber. Felt like it was over as quick as it had begun.

What a shame..
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 529
    Very sad and a real shock - a superb melodic bass player and a truly nice bloke. I first saw them at The Lyceum in Aug 83 with Howard Devoto and they were fantastic. Saw them many times after and met the band etc. From 83-87 they were our Beatles - great single after great single, an album a year and a hardworking live band. Andy’s bass was pivotal to the sound - they wouldn’t have been half as good without him. RIP. 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6527
    His bass lines were integral to the Smiths’ sound.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom