Andy Rourke

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 961
    One of my favourite bands, really sorry to hear this. As others have said, a really distinctive and unique player. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1235
    Under rated musician. Almost gave the smiths their disco meets ballroom sound and filled up the songs with intertwining wavy genius that complimented the rest of the band. Loved the sound of his bass. Is there a better champion of the precision bass in history? not sure.

As well as the classic barbarism... well the list is endless of pure musical genius.
    Rusholme ruffians.
    This charming man.
    Heaven knows im miserable now.
    Headmaster ritual.
    There is a light......

RIP.  Sad day. Deffo one of those who may get the credit they deserve post passing away.

Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9570
    A sad day... one of my favourite bands, and I was fortunate to see them live.

Andy was an awesome bass player, and vastly underrated. 

Journey well Andy, and thanks for the inspiration.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6501
    swiller said:
    Under rated musician. Almost gave the smiths their disco meets ballroom sound and filled up the songs with intertwining wavy genius that complimented the rest of the band. Loved the sound of his bass. Is there a better champion of the precision bass in history? not sure.

As well as the classic barbarism... well the list is endless of pure musical genius.
    Rusholme ruffians.
    This charming man.
    Headmaster ritual.
    There is a light......

RIP.  Sad day. Deffo one of those who may get the credit they deserve post passing away.

Good choices! 
    Marr has singled out the bassline from The Queen is Dead for special mention, and whilst it wasn’t the one that came to mind for me, he’s absolutely right.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • swillerswiller Frets: 1235
    swiller said:

Rusholme ruffians.
    This charming man.
    Headmaster ritual.
    There is a light......

Good choices! 
    Marr has singled out the bassline from The Queen is Dead for special mention, and whilst it wasn’t the one that came to mind for me, he’s absolutely right.
    Yup spot on and ditto on the not came to mind.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1027
    Just seen the news, fucking hell, life can be cruel! Funny enough I was playing there is a light this morning (Noel Gallagher version).

“Ken sent me.”
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3014
    I was at college back in 83/84 when they first came on the scene. They were instantly liked by us college kids. They just seemed to fall apart somewhere along the line, which was a shame.

It seems Andy Rourke got shit on when the fall out happened and didn't get the recognition - financial or otherwise - that he deserved. Still, he continued to play on the music scene, was well liked, obviously talented and respected and seemed to enjoy his life as a musician. Good for him. Thanks for the memories and music.
  • 26.226.2 Frets: 525
    It’s worth saying that Andy settled out of court and Mike Joyce did win a million in court. They were shat on in the sense that they didn’t know they were hired hands on 10%. Both (especially Andy) excellent musicians but not songwriters, so probably did ok. The deception’s not nice, but there was a lot of naivety around in those days. Rough Trade not entirely blameless here, but remember after Joe Moss finished they never had a proper manager. 

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2920
    Sad News.  Andy is only a couple of years older than me.  I grew up with the Smiths.
    A bass player friend of mine was in band who toured with them in the 80s and always spoke of Andy with affection.

• drpbierdrpbier Frets: 226
    Cemetry Gates for me. It doesn't work without that bassline 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    drpbier said:
    Cemetry Gates for me. It doesn't work without that bassline 
    My one is Rusholme Ruffians.  The fairly percussive strummed rhythm guitar, and the melodic bass over it sits beautifully and just gives it something I find hard to describe. Every millionth time I revisit it seems as magical as the first time I heard the song.

RIP Andy
  • InactiveXInactiveX Frets: 284
    I feel so sad that Andy has died. The Smiths are my absolute favourite band of them all, I love the music, they gave the young and desperate teenage version of myself something to cling to.

As someone in their late-40s who has started to really feel his age of late, this somehow seems strangely timely to me. Andy is the first of the gang to die.
    Don’t follow influencers
    Watch the parking meters
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9655
    I read just now that at the Manchester City game they played Barbarism Begins At Home at half time.

Andy was always my Smiths style icon in the late 80s. I couldn’t pull off a Morrissey quiff or Marr’s camp style, but Andy’s blonde spiky hair and charity shop suede jackets was what I aspired to.
  • DaveJamesDaveJames Frets: 63
    My favourite bass intro on " heaven knows I'm  miserable now".