Who takes their own vocal processing kit with them?

What's Hot
rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
I think the singer in my band would benefit from having his own kit to take with him

a stomp box that provides

limiting/compression
reverb
delay
eq

so that there is less dicking about with boards that we've never used before.

anyone do this if so what do you use that's plug and play instant vocal mix

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited May 2023
    TC Helicon are pretty good at this - either the Mic Mechanic for the essential effects (comp, reverb, etc) or one of the many different Voicelive units if one prefers option paralysis and the risk of over doing things like reverb  
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited May 2023
    Oooh my favourite (sarcasm emoji). If you don’t have a sound bloke fair enough, but if you do he will be trying to fix what you think is the right mix of reverb comp etc from where he can hear it properly in the room as opposed to you trying to guess from stage.

NB quite happy with harmonising and loopers etc but reverbs eq comp etc leave to me
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    I use a boss vf1 and the eh harmoniser. I like them for rehearsals as I can control everything without running to the mixer. I assume if we get any gigs I'll be the soundman. If we get a proper one I'll turn off the reverbs etc and let them sort it.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    Oooh my favourite (sarcasm emoji). If you don’t have a sound bloke fair enough, but if you do he will be trying to fix what you think is the right mix of reverb comp etc from where he can hear it properly in the room as opposed to you trying to guess from stage.

NB quite happy with harmonising and loopers etc but reverbs eq comp etc leave to me
    Yes I'm talking only about no sound guy situations and unfamiliar PAs in rehearsal / venues which is pretty much always

TC Helicon are pretty good at this - either the Mic Mechanic for the essential effects (comp, reverb, etc) or one of the many different Voicelive units if one prefers option paralysis and the risk of over doing things like reverb  
    Thanks yes that Mic Mechanic is a quick rehearsal room set-up option
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6821
    I’m trying out a JHS Colourbox for running a mic input into my Fractal FM9. It’s a console preamp in a pedal and has EQ and gain control.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11759
    mrkb said:
    I’m trying out a JHS Colourbox for running a mic input into my Fractal FM9. It’s a console preamp in a pedal and has EQ and gain control.

@mrkb needs this kind of kit as well, because he sometimes comes to events where I'm singing ;)
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    our singer has a boss pedal of some kind. its red. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Improvement or does he knob twiddle?*

*Where not a part of the act…..
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    rze99 said:

Red pedals  are louder than blue ones!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    From a sound guy's perspective, they give me the shivers. The Boss ones have always sounded hideous. The TC stuff is generally a lot better, but it's only as good as the way it's been set up. 

As guitarists, we all (hopefully) know that when you get a multi FX fresh out of the box, the patches are all set up to sound great in the shop, but are usually hideous overkill in a band mix. Also, dialling them in at bedroom volume/on headphones is not a representation of how they'll be on stage at volume. 

The same principles absolutely apply for vocal pedals. The majority of times I've seen a band roll up with them, the signal is wildly over-compressed, drowned in effects, or terribly EQd. I've seen a handful of people with them set up for nice, subtle processing, and on occasion some very effective use of TC vocal harmony pedals, but aside from that they've usually been more trouble than they're worth. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    rze99 said:

He has patches set up for specific things. I don't think he runs it on all the time. So like specific tempo delays for some parts, harmoniser or distortion for specific sections etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Depending on the sound guy we do sometimes end up with it bypassed too.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ