Budget mic for recording acoustic, work Teams calls etc

What's Hot
New to recording music, and I was wondering if there was any sense in buying a mic that could serve as a recording mic for acoustic guitar, but also improve my audio on work Teams calls.

I was going to buy a Behringer XM8500 mic but I understand a condenser mic may be better - any suggestions for entry-level options?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited May 2023
    Behringer C2 with pop filter for voice calla.  You will need an interface with phantom power though..

Or for an all in one, a Blue Yeti USB 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • -GF--GF- Frets: 0
    Behringer C2 with pop filter for voice calla.  You will need an interface with phantom power though..

Thanks. So I do need a condenser mic, then? 

I have a Behringer UMC202HD interface already. Is that worth including in the solution? 

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    90% of the time condensors are preferred for recording acoustics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    A popular budget condenser mic is the Rode NT1-A.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    I'm using the AKG P170 for acoustic guitar and its great for the price. I got it for £59 I think. Sounds really natural and warm with acoustics.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2288
    I use a headset for teams. You can also use Teams Meeting recording facility. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3691
    edited May 2023

Jumping in on this thread as I was about to ask a similar question. 

The C2 come as a pair - as I only need one, not least because my interface only has one input,  is something like the Behringer B2 C1 better value as a B2 C1 is about the same price as a pair of C2s. 

EDIT I actually meant C1  not B2! Head spinning with all the number letter combinations :)

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    -GF- said:

Thanks. So I do need a condenser mic, then? 

I have a Behringer UMC202HD interface already. Is that worth including in the solution? 

Yes, use your existing interface and add a budget condenser. Either of the Behringer ones mentioned would work for recording acoustic (B2 or a pair of C2s). I'm sure there are a bunch of demos, stereo vs. mono is a choice you can make. 

You'll need headphones if you're using your interface for teams calls btw, but you'd probably want to do that anyway I guess.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26587
    edited May 2023
    See if you can find a used AKG C1000S - I use one on the daily for calls, as well as the odd bit of recording, and they're excellent. You can also get the adapters to change the polar pattern, which can be quite handy.
    <space for hire>
    drofluf said:
    … Behringer C1 …
    Buying a USB mic is like driving into a dead end one way street. Unless you really want to be stuck at the low end I really urge you all, not just @drofluf , to raise your sights and your budget enough to get a mic with an XLR connector and an audio interface. These two things will raise the quality and leave the door open for future upgrades. Really, truly, honestly.
    Whistler said:
    drofluf said:
    … Behringer C1 …
    Buying a USB mic is like driving into a dead end one way street. Unless you really want to be stuck at the low end I really urge you all, not just @drofluf , to raise your sights and your budget enough to get a mic with an XLR connector and an audio interface. These two things will raise the quality and leave the door open for future upgrades. Really, truly, honestly.
    I thought the C1 was XLR? That’s what the Amazon description says. 
    Well said, @drofluf, as I mistakenly looked at the C-1U, not the C-1. The principle still applies but you are right, the C-1 has an XLR connector.
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1446
    Whistler said:
    Really good choice.
  • Hellsbells87Hellsbells87 Frets: 104
    Whistler said:
    Really good choice.
    Second (third?) this, v flexible little number
    As the consensus seemed to be towards the Røde NT1-A I took the plunge. Good a good discount to move the price closer to some of the cheaper models. 
    drofluf said:
    As the consensus seemed to be towards the Røde NT1-A I took the plunge. Good a good discount to move the price closer to some of the cheaper models. 
    Well the interface arrived yesterday so I was able to test the Røde. Have to say, the difference between the USB mic and the Røde is like night and day!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2023
    old school of thought was stereo and to use two condensers,  one (large dia type) pointed towards the belly and one towards the  fretboard (12th roughly)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    This is two products, not one.

Acoustic guitars- an SDC.
    For Teams calls, a good dynamic unless you want to hear the room.

I use a webcam mic for Zoom/Teams calls though, despite having a load of nice microphones.
    It is just less pissing about to set up.

bertie said:
    old school of thought was stereo and to use two condensers,  one (large dia type) pointed towards the belly and one towards the  fretboard (12th roughly)
    Yes, this is a good approach, but it depends on the guitar, the room, the performer and the song (in reverse order of priority).