Disco P.A. suggestions that I could use for gigging in the future?

lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
Rather than hire out a p.a. for my wedding, I thought I could buy a used one, and keep it for those 'just in case' situations. It's gonna be a very small affair in the upstairs loft of a converted hay barn. I have a small Alto zmx52 mixer to run a mic and iPod L/R into it for the simplest setup. Plans are just for drinking and dancing and eating. Nothing special, but there should the mood come to let loose.

If needs be, I could let friends use it for their own dos or if they have a gig. Hell, maybe I'll have a gig one day.
What do people choose nowadays?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    The thing with a Disco Pa it’s all about having bass for dancing, However if your wedding guests aren’t particularly bothered about that, then buy a pair of active 12’s for whatever is available where you are. Your profile say Bologna . They will be more than enough for small gigs etc. Depending on your budget, what you buy would be good enough for home hifi use. I’ve just scored a Bose S1 battery/ mains powered speaker, to me it’s too coloured for live use although that’s what it’s designed for , but as a lounge speaker it’s ideal.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    thanks @maltingsaudio . in fact, I've been told that a decent home stereo will do the trick. The speakers are JBL LX44s. Power Amp is Philips F4601 (https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_hifi_stereo_power_amplifier_f4610_00.html) with Pre amp (https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philips_pre_amplifier_f3610_00_05.html). However, the good weather means that we will be outside and I would be surprised if a stereo hifi would cover it. I do have various cabinets that I use for guitar. One has a 15" Peavey Black Widow speaker that could handle most.
    I might have some other options coming but I only have a week to organise.
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Actually, I wondered if I could use the AB speaker system to run the Hifi's dedicated speakers AND add the 15" speaker for some extra woofer. The pair of Jbl speakers are 8 ohms each. The single 1x15" is 8 ohm. The amp is solid state. Will that cause any problems?