Speed Mechanics for Lead Guitar V Guthrie Govans Creative Guitar: Advanced Technqiues Vol 2

2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Had a little look/attempt at some of the "Rock Discipline" this evening.

Even the warm up exercises are hard. Defo one for the more advanced player.

The MI Rock Lead Techniques/basics have some very good picking exercises.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    nice thread

I have just ordered the kirk hammett book via amazon for a tenner s/h - nice recommendation

do we also think the David Mead book is worth buying?  

I used to have lessons from a brilliant teacher but I don't have time to practice for an hour a day (along with the band stuff and a complicated life) to make the lessons valuable for him or me so a 10 minute technical practice a day seems much more reasonable.

I'm an intermediate player (mostly) and although I'm working on my strumming using the recently posted videos by @monquiote I also need to keep my scales and picking up together as well (I'm probably at about 100-120 bpm ish for scales that I know)

@nickp ; the KH book is good and well worth reading/using, I'm working through mine at the moment (among others).

The first exercise in chapter 6 (the 12-20th frets stretch) is a bit of a killer........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    edited November 2014

12-20 fret stretch - wtf.....

I'm just learning the beat it solo and have bottled out of doing the 12th to 19th fret strech at speed and have chosen to fret tap the 19th instead

I think I might need a 3/4 scale length guitar

Yep,

frets 12 first finger

13-15 second finger

16-18 third (ring) finger

19/20 little finger

I can do it just.

If you use it as a strengthening/stretching exercise it's good, less likely to use it in a "real world" application. Although there is a nice lick at the same place to use.