The F1 thread

What's Hot

Comments

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    Haha I didn't realise, but you're right, it's petty nonsense. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    I'm coming up with creative ways to make the season interesting for a McLaren fan like me.

How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish the race?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes with 6 cars finishing behind it?
    How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish with 6 cars finishing behind them?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes in the points?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren gets in to Q3? 

Who wants to play? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    How many races into the season before McLaren start taking grid penalties for going over the allowed number of engines?

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22163

How many races will Fernando spend over 50% of the race sat in a marshall's deckchair? 
    How many races before Fernando decides he's had enough and Jenson gets asked to fill the seat?

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    There's a big part of me that feels very sorry for Fernando, he really has made some pooh career choices. It's also a shame for the sport that he isn't able to mix it up at the front with Lewis, Seb, Daniel etc - that would be so good to watch.
    On the other hand, he did try to blackmail big Ron, so maybe this is karma in operation.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524
    edited March 2017
    Honda made a monumental blunder with the architecture of the original engine.  It was always a risk it would fatally compromise their ability to be competitive and so it proved.  The architecture they have now is a much better starting point but the the consequence is that they have basically started again.  They are to all intents and purposes where Renault were when these engines first came in - ie an engine that has no durability and no power but is an essentially sound development platform. 

It has taken Renault a couple of years to get to the point where their engine is no longer considered a complete liability.  With engine development released from the shackles of the token system Honda should get there quicker but even so it will still probably be next season before they do.

McClaren's other problem of course is that without much test running they don't get to shake down the other car systems.  It's going to be very ugly for the first half of the season at least.
    “He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    TimmyO said:
    I'm coming up with creative ways to make the season interesting for a McLaren fan like me.

How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish the race?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes with 6 cars finishing behind it?
    How many races in to the season before both McLarens finish with 6 cars finishing behind them?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren finishes in the points?
    How many races in to the season before a McLaren gets in to Q3? 

Who wants to play? 
    Zero, excluding DNFs.
    Zero, excluding DNFs.
    Zero, they won't get into Q3 this year.
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4837
    All things considered it should be a decent season, although I'm concerned that although the changes make the cars faster they will also make it more difficult to overtake, leading to more pit based strategies again or someone taking the lead and then staying out of trouble and winning by default. 

I appreciate the show has hardly been stellar with Mercedes dominance but Brawn really needs to get his head down and decide how to improve it. First of all they need more overtaking and also despite the constant balancing act between wanting to be the pinnacle of tech and put on a show, they might have to consider putting the tech behind them a bit to reverse the impression its no longer a drivers formula. It clearly is to the guys that are big fans but the casual fan believes the rubbish it reads in papers and on the net.

Personally I'd head towards a standard front wing that isn't affected by following another car, allow them to replace that downforce using the underfloor and also remove some of the driver aids like engine mapping and modes. Its all or nothing!!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Fretwired said:
    That's Fox regurgitating a Daily Mail story, which was probably written by Katie Hopkins..
    McLaren approach Mercedes for engines .. are Honda going to call it a day?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/39290908

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7431
    All leave is cancelled in the contracts department I'll bet. 

Is there any way it would/could happen mid-season? I'd have thought that the engine impacts chassis/fairing design so hard to do that? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    It's Brawn all over again... they squeezed the Merc donkey in at the 11th hour and then had a great season. Can't see it happening mid season though.
    TimmyO said:

Is there any way it would/could happen mid-season? I'd have thought that the engine impacts chassis/fairing design so hard to do that? 
    I thought the rules banned changing engines mid season. That's what I've read. Your locked into a supplier and a number of engines, gearboxes etc.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    They can call " Force Majeure" it's been used a few times when teams have had season critical issues 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24348
    TimmyO said:

I think the engine is actually load bearing and the rear suspension is effectively mounted to the engine.

So I imagine swapping engines would be a proper nightmare.

Maybe Jamsport do a mount conversion kit, like they do for the Civic ! :D
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27091
    All engine mounting points are standardised to allow exactly this. I think that was brought in after BMW and Toyota both walked with little notice. 

Ron was right that the only way to win is to be a factory team (or at least primary partner), but with Honda clearly having no idea what they're doing and appearing to have gone backwards despite the regs opening up you can't blame McLaren for wanting out if they indeed do. 

This whole hybrid thing has been a mess from start to finish. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    TimmyO said:

I think the engine is actually load bearing and the rear suspension is effectively mounted to the engine.

So I imagine swapping engines would be a proper nightmare.

Maybe Jamsport do a mount conversion kit, like they do for the Civic ! :D
    Only since 1967...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stressed_member_engine
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    All engine mounting points are standardised to allow exactly this. I think that was brought in after BMW and Toyota both walked with little notice. 

Ron was right that the only way to win is to be a factory team (or at least primary partner), but with Honda clearly having no idea what they're doing and appearing to have gone backwards despite the regs opening up you can't blame McLaren for wanting out if they indeed do. 

This whole hybrid thing has been a mess from start to finish. 
    I hope Honda sue the arse off Mclaren and get their billion dollars back.