Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Tube Screamer type pedal?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Well sure, I mean it's still an od (actually, IIRC with the gain on zero it's a genuine clean boost as it has a dual-gang (think that's the term) pot which removes the clippers from the circuit).

But yeah it's also not TS-derived. Again IIRC doesn't it have (germanium) clippers to ground?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72497
    edited September 2013
    Brize said:
    Different circuitry but similar application, no?
    Similar application, yes - but it's nothing like a TS in almost any part of the circuit.

Dave_Mc said:
    Well sure, I mean it's still an od (actually, IIRC with the gain on zero it's a genuine clean boost as it has a dual-gang (think that's the term) pot which removes the clippers from the circuit).

Again IIRC doesn't it have (germanium) clippers to ground?
    Yes, which makes it a "distortion", and hence proves exactly that whether it's an overdrive or a distortion is dependent on the application and not the circuitry really! (Even though I would say that generally 'hard' clipping is distortion and 'soft' feedback-loop clipping is overdrive.)

The diodes are not removed from the circuit at low gain settings, it's just that the gain can be reduced to below the point that they operate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ICBM said:
    (a) Yes, which makes it a "distortion", and hence proves exactly that whether it's an overdrive or a distortion is dependent on the application and not the circuitry really! (Even though I would say that generally 'hard' clipping is distortion and 'soft' feedback-loop clipping is overdrive.)

(b) The diodes are not removed from the circuit at low gain settings, it's just that the gain can be reduced to below the point that they operate.
    (a) agreed

Don't the germanium clippers clip a little more softly than silicon? If so, I suppose that might go some way to explaining why they can claim it's an overdrive...

(b) My mistake, I got confused with the dual-ganged thing >:D<

So what's the purpose of the dual-ganged pot- just to reduce gain in two parts of the circuit?