Recommend me a cheap active DI box please!

What's Hot
LongtallronnieLongtallronnie Frets: 1201
As the title says, looking for a DI to use between my acoustic and mixer for live gigs.

Cheers
Ronnie
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Orchid Electronics. Not the cheapest but certainly not expensive and very high quality.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers, will give them a look.
    Just a thought..
    Is a DI necessary if my electro acoustic has a built in preamp? Always get confused with DI's!
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited June 2023
    The rule of thumb is: active pickup, passive DI; passive pickup, active DI. Your built-in preamp does not make the pickup active but a passive DI would be the place to start.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3655
    Another vote of Orchid.  I have a few of their products and they've always been top notch.
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited June 2023
    Whistler said:
    The rule of thumb is: active pickup, passive DI; passive pickup, active DI.
    Not quite:

* passive pickup - usually active DI, unless you’re using an external preamp with a high input impedance before the DI. Sometimes a passive DI sounds fine, try it and see
    * active pickup - passive or active pickup shouldn’t make a significant difference.

Whistler said:
    Your built-in preamp does not make the pickup active…
    Er, yes it does.

One more vote from me for Orchid
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    What is cheap? I spent £50 on a Klerk Teknik one this week, active, it seems good
  • The active vs passive thing really confuses me when using an acoustic with preamp. 
    Budget wise, under £50 would be nice, ideally I’d get one of each to try but don’t think I can stretch to that tbh. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited June 2023
    I use a Radial Stagebug active.  Slighly above budget but about as good as DIs get.

I use it on loads of applications.  Passive electric bass and guitar info interfaces in the studio, bass and synth DI with pass through to amp at gigs, mandolin live, and with two preamp equipped acoustics.   It has a postive effect on tone and adds loads of clarity with all of them.

The tough metal box of the Radial has flanges which protect the sockets and switches on stage which is another plus over some cheaper designs.

Def. one of the most versatile pieces of kit.  One of my best investments.  They do a passive version too.

active
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/stagebug-sb1

Passive
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/stagebug-sb2

Not sure it would be massively essential for your preamped acoustic, those are pretty optimised for direct to desk impedance wise. But in my experience everything through the DI sounds clearer and cleaner and more controllable.   At festivals, the crew will always give me a DI box for on stage acoustics even those with preamps.  Juts useful to have for any long cable runs or to plug into a stagebox.

I am looking to get an Orchid switching DI for a mandolin with no on-board controls.  I use the Radial Stagebug’s pad to turn it down between numbers at the moment.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10410
    If your guitar has a pre amp than a passive DI will be fine and available for £25 or so as a passive DI box is just a transformer in a box. 
    Behringer make a cheap one for £25 that's fine and generally what I use unless a guitarist has just a piezo pickup and no pre amp in their acoustic. Then you need an active box with a high input impedance to avoid loading the pickup and tone suck.

Acoustic guitars with pre amps are opamp based and happy to drive into a few hundred Ohms 

I wired a mute switch on mine so they can mute before unplugging. 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    edited June 2023
    We use Behringher ultra DIs all the time, very reliable and versatile and under £50.

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0062
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72351
    edited June 2023
    The only one that’s a must is with an unpreamped passive pickup, when you must use an active DI or you will get drastic tone suck as Danny said. Anything else is largely a matter of cost, convenience and to some extent taste.

A passive transformer DI needs no battery or phantom power, and I think they sound best for electric guitar and bass. I prefer an active one with an acoustic even with a preamp, they seem to retain a bit more ‘air’ and sparkle in the sound - but a passive will work fine and if you’re on a very limited budget, it’s probably better to get a half-decent passive than a very cheap active.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks for all the advice everyone. :)
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    edited June 2023
    I have Orchids Radial Stage bugs Radial Passive LA Audio Actives and PalmerStereo Swiss army box, they all do the same job whatever is thrown at them, with no audible difference between them. My go to are the Orchids when tech specs allow, second is the stage bug. The difference is down to a switchable pad which the Radial has but the Orchid doesn’t. 

The only drawback to the orchids is they are small and black and on a black stage using black leads you lose the buggers!

Ps I have 3 studio spares active di’s on the out pile for £30 the lot they are ok for occasional jobs but not up to professional work
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4162
    Behringer Adi21 VTone  the guitar and bass versions are highly thought of 
  • shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited June 2023
    There is one active Behringer DI that should be avoided at all costs. Behringer ULTRA-DI DI20 2 Channel DI Box/Splitter

Avoid like the clap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom