I have this fascination with the new Taylor 814ce

What's Hot
jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
The one with the forearm bevel. I have had Taylors before and while they major on consistency and playability, I've never actually had one that sounded fabulous.

I've played Martins, which are a lot less consistent, but when you find a really good one - when Martin get it right - it's truly magical.

My experiences are however 10-15 years old.

Is the new 814ce truly a revelation?  Expert/ first-hand opinions deeply appreciated...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3497
    jaymenon said:
    The one with the forearm bevel. I have had Taylors before and while they major on consistency and playability, I've never actually had one that sounded fabulous.

I've played Martins, which are a lot less consistent, but when you find a really good one - when Martin get it right - it's truly magical.

My experiences are however 10-15 years old.

Is the new 814ce truly a revelation?  Expert/ first-hand opinions deeply appreciated...
    It's been a long time since I last played a Taylor.  I presume the ones made now days are a bit different to the ones I had tried about 15 years ago.  The new 814ce has V class bracing.  I'm yet to see such a guitar in person, I'd also intrigued to find out how it plays.

Keep us posted if you get your hands on one Jay.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9581
    During my recent quest, I played a few Taylors, as Ive always had a soft spot.

These two stood out, the later being exception. I think it was £11k new !!!

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/210412368060025-9748172--taylor-builders-edition-k14ce-grand-auditorium-v-class

https://www.coda-music.com/acoustic-guitars/taylor-k14ce-builders-edition-v-class-sh.html
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1797
    I like a Taylor and the 814 is to me the classic Taylor and all the modern stuff they do to it in the builder's editions etc only make it a bit more lust-worthy. Taylor has a reputation for being consistent and I played one on a recent US trip along with a shed load of Martins

It was quite interesting on the Martin front as it was a bit of a guy's week road trip we did the Martin Factory, a trip I had done 9 odd years ago but my mate had not, and for me, it was interesting how over those years much of the Martin Factory now looks like the Taylor factory the main core of production has moved forward with the kind of modern production methods I saw at Taylor the same year. The custom shop line seems still to be more old school or as was. 

Which as I sort of fancied a D18 or D28 I must have played at least 20 of each on the road trip and have to say I don't own a Martin currently but they all felt almost identical under the hand and the same acoustically with often little variance sonically. Also, the build quality seemed very consistent. So if in the past Martin were very variable they seemed a consistent thing to me. 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    jaymenon said:

Is the new 814ce truly a revelation?  
    on what grounds ? simply cos it has a "forearm bevel" ??
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    bertie said:
    jaymenon said:

Is the new 814ce truly a revelation?  
    on what grounds ? simply cos it has a "forearm bevel" ??
    No @bertie ;- even though I like the forearm bevel and have a couple of Maestros, which are lovely to play.

My fascination is because of all the hype surrounding the new changes that Andy Powers has apparently bought to Taylor
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    "Hype" is the word! 

Taylor claim that their V-bracing, alongside a host of other advantages which I am quite prepared to take as read, "improves intonation". Seriously.  The only reason they don't claim that V-bracing "improves intonation and cures cancer" is that they haven't thought of it yet. It's an utterly ludicrous claim and they should be ashamed of themselves.

As for the guitars, I've played an 814ce and thought it a very nice guitar. Too trebly for my taste - that is after all the Taylor house sound - and very expensive, but like most Taylors, a fine guitar. 

As for the V-bracing, why not? It's been more than 100 years since X-bracing was invented and we have surely moved on. Several other methods make better mechanical sense, and the days of the X-brace as the only way to do it are over.  (Come to think of it, of my 8 guitars only 4 use traditional X-bracing. Times are changing, and Taylor is playing a valuable part in that.)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    edited June 2023
    Tannin said:
    The only reason they don't claim that V-bracing "improves intonation and cures cancer" is that they haven't thought of it yet. It's an utterly ludicrous claim and they should be ashamed of themselves.
    Considering they're made in California, they'd probably have to say it causes cancer...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2023
    jaymenon said:

My fascination is because of all the hype surrounding the new changes that Andy Powers has apparently bought to Taylor
    ah right - 

I had a 612 and a 614  about...........................2005 - 2007,   nice to play, especially if you're coming from an "electric only" place.(which wasnt me

For me its one of those brands that appeal and are great, especially as a "performance" guitar  -   until you know there's "better" £ for £ (ie more suited to your playing)   and thats when  I  stopped being interested in them TBH,  so too long ago to comment on the new(er) stuff probably

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7787
    I was never into Taylor, even though I owned and enjoyed a GS mini.

But while shopping for an all Mahogany guitar under £2k the AD27 beat everything else, beautiful sound.

• woodywoody Frets: 74
    edited June 2023
    The only problem i have with an 814 is that you can buy a Mcilroy or an Atkin(and lots of others) for similar money and im confident they would both sound much better. I never fail to be surprised at how underwhelming the more expensive taylors sound in comparison with their rivals although i have to put my hands up and admit i havent tried any of their guitars with the newer v bracing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5499
    woody said:
    The only problem i have with an 814 is that you can buy a Mcilroy or an Atkin(and lots of others) for similar money and im confident they would both sound much better. I never fail to be surprised at how underwhelming the more expensive taylors sound in comparison with their rivals although i have to put my hands up and admit i havent tried any of their guitars with the newer v bracing.
    Yes indeed, but that's true of Taylors across the board not just the top models. Look at their 314ce, a worthy guitar and one I'd be perfectly happy to own, but at $3400 AUD it is much dearer than equivalent quality products from other makers (Maton, Cole Clark, Takamine, Furch, etc.). Or look at their 1 series and 2 series guitars. Reliably decent instruments, but priced the same as clearly superior all-solid models from those same makers (and others). 

Taylor = decent but too dear. Pretty much every time.

On the other hand, most of the other American makers are way, way too dear and make Taylor look pretty reasonable. 

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think maybe the selleing points of Taylor are the consistent quality and blinging looks.

I don’t like them myself, but good QC and the fact they don’t quite have the cachet of Martin or Gibson might mean they make great second hand buys.

Also I have a prejudice that rich dentists or lawyers buy them , intending to learn and then give up when they find they can’t make the time.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    Builders Edition 814ce reiewed in latest Guitarist magazine.