Imagine your OTHER instrument

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5494
The Magic Sky Fairy comes along and explains that, because she likes your guitar playing so much, and because you are such a nice person, she is going to give you the ability to play another instrument of your choice to a high standard. Any instrument you like.

(Some of us here have already chosen that other instrument. @Mellish for example plays the banjo. Would you like instant mastery of a third instrument Mr Mellish? Just say the word.)

Oh, and if money is a bit tight, you can take home an instrument to keep. (A solid silver flute, a nice baby grand, a top quality drum kit - whatever it is you chose as your other instrument.)

After guitar, WHAT IS YOUR CHOSEN OTHER INSTRUMENT?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3722
    Antagonistic Undecagonstring
  • BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    I’d love to feel ‘at home’ on keys, as much as I do on guitar.  I can play keys - got my grade 7 about 20 years ago - but I couldn’t just jump on a keyboard and play stuff.

But more likely is I wanna do claw hammer banjo.  When it’s done we’ll it’s a great sound.  That’s my plan for when a I retire.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3229
    It’s a toss up between keys as it would be so useful or BJ Coles level mastery of the pedal steel (rather than my gentle background swoops, slides and glides). 
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    edited June 2023
    Well, actually, yes I would .

I'm strangely fascinated with pianos. If I see one in a musical instrument store, I'm drawn to it. 

Of course, I'm the world's worst pianist, just a one-key-at-a-time guy.

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    My voice
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    Piano
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6705
    edited June 2023
    I already (just about) earn a living playing clarinet. My other instrument? 'Cello. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    Piano or drums for me. 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    I think it would be a keyboard for me. However, I have a couple of harmonicas that I've not learned properly yet.....it's about time someone came up with a silent harmonica with ear buds so you didn't have the neighborhood cats gathering at the door to join in  =)

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    bass crumhorn 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Trumpet. Although my wife has a view on this...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1425
    Cuica. No, dulcimer. Acually tar.Scratch that, harmonium. tabla, Gamelan, Burmese piano, Saxomophone, clarinet, marimba!

In all likelyhood, drums or piano / organ. Opens up new vistas. Some superb suggestions here though, from vocal to steel, to keyboards, to cello. Maybe yodelling and audition for a Focus tribute?
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • BigPaulieBigPaulie Frets: 1114
    Tenor sax, obviously!
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1974
    The highland bagpipes. That, by the way, is a serious answer to the OP. I did buy a practice chanter and was looking for a club locally (NW England) I'd failed miserably. I didn't think trying to teach myself would work very well so it never got off the ground. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    Actually, ignore my earlier post, I just remembered the hankering I had back in my early 20's.
    I was interested in modern jazz and went to see as many outfits that were desperate enough to travel up to Newcastle from London.
    I always ended up watching the guy playing the double bass. There were some cracking players around.

Yes, I reckon my other instrument would have to be a double bass.
     :)

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72490
    Voice. I can’t sing at all, which really limits your options as any sort of musician.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15563
    violin, but honourable mention to voice. The ability to sing well must be a fantastic thing. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Harp.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5494
    I'm dithering. So many great choices! Clarinet would be a prime starter. But piano, harmonica, bagpipes, vibraphone, cello, double bass - no screw double bass, I could do OK at that one on my own without the fairy to help (at least I was OK on fretless electric, I guess it transfers). 

Wouldn't mind holding the baton either.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    edited June 2023
    VimFuego said:
    violin, but honourable mention to voice. The ability to sing well must be a fantastic thing. 
    its what annoys me (sometimes) about Mrs Bert,  she often moans/berates even belittles her vocal ability,  saying she doesnt understand peoples "reactions"  and just doesn't  "get" her god givens  that 90% of people would kill for
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.