FoH -> IEM rig over AES50

jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
My band is looking to switch to IEMs for rehearsals, and gigs where possible. 
I’m looking at using an X32 rack with mostly wired IEMs to keep costs down.
One question I have is whether FOH engineers are likely to support hooking up FOH consoles to our X32 rack over AES in cases where the FOH console supports it. This seems much simpler than patching into FOH via a splitter, and most venues we play have X32/M32 FOH consoles
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10411
    It depends on the setup. A lot of venues still use the same mulitcore they had before they changed to a digital desk. There's no advantage to a digital stage box at a fixed install really. So there may be no digital run from FOH to stage meaning you would have to run your own. Others might be using the CAT5E run for something else ... in short sometimes it might be fine but not others. 
    Also in my experience the X /M32 is popular because it's cheap but I've played loads of venues up and down the country that are using QU32, GLD80, iLive etc. 

You could just use passive splits and a loom from their stage box to your X32 rack. That will work every single time everwhere you go. 
    A soundcraft UR24i makes a good IEM mixer. You can get 7 stereo IEM feeds out it and it's controlled via a browser so any device no matter how old can control a mix. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • jim_crossjim_cross Frets: 18
    Thanks Danny!
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    Danny1969 said:

You could just use passive splits and a loom from their stage box to your X32 rack. That will work every single time everwhere you go. 
    A soundcraft UR24i makes a good IEM mixer. You can get 7 stereo IEM feeds out it and it's controlled via a browser so any device no matter how old can control a mix. 
    This is our exact setup...its great
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ