NvcBD - Bronco

What's Hot
goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153

vc = very cheap! For the miserly sum of £75 (!), I found this locally on Gumtree. It's my first bass after moving on a Jazz Bass copy - I never got comfy with the scale length of that one, so I looked around for a short-scale and this one was impossible to resist. Can't fault it for the price. Delightfully simple and well put together AFAICS.

I'll try it out properly over the weekend. For sure, it's heaps more playable for me. Plan is to play it as-is for a while before deciding on any mods. I think a few people upgrade the tuners on these. The seller had tried a rails pickup in but reverted to the original.

Now I just need to find a decent bass technique channel on Youtube. Suggestions welcome. :)

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12901
    Nice.

I really want one of these. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Had one. Upgraded the bridge etc. The new bridge made a HUGE difference in feel etc. Sold it, as it still kind of felt like a toy. But great to record with etc and jam with.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6153
    @Creed_Clicks ; - I saw a YT video where someone upgraded the bridge - supposedly for proper intonation. I suppose I will wait to see if I find the tuning/intonation lacking. But played acoustically for half an hour, I thought it was fine.

The same video showed what looked like a bigger pickup route under the scratchplate, as well as the pickup being just a regular 6-pole Strat pickup! He swapped the pickup out for a "50s" 4-pole type.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    Judging by photographs, the pickup cavity is long enough to accommodate an EMG35-sized soapbar pickup and wide enough for a Peavey T-40 humbucker.

A mudbucker might fit with its mounting screw holes biting into the body.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    The pickup is indeed a 6-pole Strat-type - actually a Mexican Standard type with ceramic magnets on the bottom, I’m pretty sure - but sounds very good, I would hesitate before ‘upgrading’ it.

A guitarist friend has one which he bought for his wife to learn to play - she lost interest, but he liked it so much he sold his MIM P-Bass instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Judging by photographs, the pickup cavity is long enough to accommodate an EMG35-sized soapbar pickup and wide enough for a Peavey T-40 humbucker.

A mudbucker might fit with its mounting screw holes biting into the body.
    I need to research those. I'm just finding my way with bass tone anyway. So I should get used to this one first.
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    At £75 its an absolute steal . . . nicely done Squier . . . pun intended :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^ I was lucky. It was one of those rare totally positive Gumtree experiences. The guy was in a nearby village and even dropped it off when passing. I really love the look of the Starfire shortscale in the Classifieds here, but that was more than I could justify.

And this one - despite it's My First Bass toy-look - is growing on me.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14430
    If you are having fun and/or creating new musical ideas, the Squier is doing its job.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24279
    They are great. The music charity I help has one as a loan instrument and it’s great fun, if a bit heavy.