Hands too big for 'jazz' plectrum? Most boring post ever?

What's Hot
The other guitar player in my band was banging on about his stupid little jazz picks, and since I have used normal tortext 73 for about a million years, I thought to myself 'maybe you should consider the options?'.

So I bought some 'Prodiigy' picks which look like Serious Plectrums for Serious Players!

And to be fair, I can see that they allow for much more controlled playing and stuff, I don't do much strumming, so I guess these things might be good? But! I have great big man-hands of a 6'2" person who has worked with his hands for decades, and it seems to me that the sheer size of my index and thumb holding a jazz pick doesn't really allow for enough of the tip to contact the strings without also some skin. Skin plus pick is not ideal, unless intentional. 

Also the picks feel like I'm about to drop them all the time.

Are some people's hands just too big for Expert Pro-Mode jazz picks?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I feel like I get more control with a normal teardrop pick, because there is more surface in contact with my index finger which means I can hold it steady with less pressure

You might see speed improvements with a pointed tip but what you gain in speed you lose in dynamic expression

https://youtu.be/fuCEe0yCfzM
    ^^ that's not the video I was looking for but still relevant I guess. He has another one where he shows that pointy picks have a more uniform sound through rotation of the pick angle. This is my experience of them too
    You can get Tortex sized Jaz IIIs if you're in the mood for experimenting https://www.jimdunlop.com/jazz-iii-xl-nylon-pick/

I am def club Tortex though

Bob Balch uses Tortex blue and he picks like a demon. I love his playing

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CtXl9aIN-NH/?igshid=MWQ1ZGUxMzBkMA==
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    This is the one I was looking for. Sorry I realise I'm absolutely dumping this all over your thread

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    I prefer the rounded tip myself and they have a great little dunlop pick where the shape is spot on but its too small a pick. Finding the exact pick for your own comfort is a massive pain in the backside. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    roberty said:
    … he shows that pointy picks have a more uniform sound through rotation of the pick angle…
    This is a good example of one size not fitting all. I like to rotate the pick to get different levels of pick attack.
    I prefer the rounded tip myself …
    In one of his recent videos Guthrie Trapp mentions using one of the back corners of a pick because it is more rounded.
    Finding the exact pick for your own comfort is a massive pain in the backside. 
    More like a lifetime’s journey.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    roberty said:
    … he shows that pointy picks have a more uniform sound through rotation of the pick angle…
    This is a good example of one size not fitting all. I like to rotate the pick to get different levels of pick attack
    Yeah same. You can get brighter and darker sounds with a rounded tip as well as wider dynamic range
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    You can get small Jazz 3 plectra - The Jazz 3 Stubby.  Been using them for ages.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 1857
    Roland said:
    roberty said:
    This is a good example of one size not fitting all. I like to rotate the pick to get different levels of pick attack.
    I prefer the rounded tip myself …
    In one of his recent videos Guthrie Trapp mentions using one of the back corners of a pick because it is more rounded.
    Finding the exact pick for your own comfort is a massive pain in the backside. 
    More like a lifetime’s journey.
    Yeah,I do tend to use the rounded sides of a normal pick but the shape doesn't fit as comfortably if not at the longer,or sharp end of the pick. Hard to describe but definitely a 'feel' thing.
  • Axe2GrindAxe2Grind Frets: 5
    The other guitar player in my band was banging on about his stupid little jazz picks, and since I have used normal tortext 73 for about a million years, I thought to myself 'maybe you should consider the options?'.

So I bought some 'Prodiigy' picks which look like Serious Plectrums for Serious Players!

And to be fair, I can see that they allow for much more controlled playing and stuff, I don't do much strumming, so I guess these things might be good? But! I have great big man-hands of a 6'2" person who has worked with his hands for decades, and it seems to me that the sheer size of my index and thumb holding a jazz pick doesn't really allow for enough of the tip to contact the strings without also some skin. Skin plus pick is not ideal, unless intentional. 

Also the picks feel like I'm about to drop them all the time.

Are some people's hands just too big for Expert Pro-Mode jazz picks?
    Well, the prodigy's come in a variety of shapes and sizes, sounds like you got the very small jazz mini shape.
    If you like the thickness and material then may be try the large shield pick or the standard or sharp picks. They all have the pointed tip on them. 

Or if you don't want to deviate from your normal pick, try the Dunlop Jazz III tortex Large or Flow picks. Both are good for larger hands. The Jazz III XL was made at the request of Bucket Head I've read somewhere  and he has massive hands.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I use the Flow picks and am 6ft2 with a size L in gloves. I find them really comfortable and love the pointed tip. Before in discovered the Flows I used the Jazz III Tortex for ages. Both are worth a try
  • allenallen Frets: 710
    I’ve been a jazz iii user for years. I recently got the petrucci variety pack to try something new and really loved the 2mm Flow. So much so that I’ve ordered some more. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27080
    73 Tortex ftw!! 

I’ve dabbled with Jazz IIIs in the past but never clicked with them. I do like the back end of a dimpled nylon for a bit more sparkle on occasions but that’s as far as I go with experimenting these days. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    I use Jim Dunlop Jazztones 206 when impersonating (badly) Kenny Burrell. The 207 & 208 is the same pick but bigger and ideal for sausage fingers. The 207 is used by Molly Tuttle in the bluegrass world. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Surely the problem is how you are holding them rather than the size of your hands?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4181
    I’ve been using these for years now, they really do seem to grip better for me 
      Jazz III Kirk Hammet . The stubby would be good for big hands .

• danowensdanowens Frets: 27
    Its a curveball, but have you tried a Wegen? They're big and have a unique grip. 

• digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3259
    I’ve been using these for years now, they really do seem to grip better for me 
      Jazz III Kirk Hammet . The stubby would be good for big hands .

Is one end for double speed tremolo picking?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    danowens said:
    Its a curveball, but have you tried a Wegen? They're big and have a unique grip. 

In white the grip is more visible. Michael Wegen (in Holland) charges €18.50 per piece. The Dunlop Primetone picks in 3mm or 5mm thickness and the same width and height as the Wegen picks are £9.50 for a pack of 3 (from Thomann and other Dunlop retailers). Being black the grip pattern is difficult to see online but great in use as I am sure the Wegen picks are. I use the 5mm Dunlop picks. Because they have shaped tips there are specifically left or right handed picks.
  • I think Jazz III are mainly used by shredders. They tend to have spindly little fingers formed from malnourishment as they didn’t leave their bedrooms to go down for dinner often enough. 

I suspect most jazzers use normal plectrums. 

I grew up playing with the Dunlop Tortex, thinking that the slight texture would help me keep from dropping the pick. Turns out I was wrong and a few years ago discovered that the smooth, shiny Fender Heavy type picks (often tortoiseshell in colour) are much more stable and have allowed me to become a much better picker as they don’t rotate and I don’t drop them like the Tortex. They also have smoother tone, especially if playing off the rounder edge (as described above) which I do now almost always.

As for Wegen, they are absolute beasts and I would only use one if competing with louder instruments on acoustic guitar. I have also tried the Dunlop version and they are very similar in sound to the real wegen IMO.