One guitar sound for all covers?

What's Hot
Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
edited June 2023 in Live
Played a local community/family day gig this weekend. Back of a wagon job. Was a lovely day and we had a great time. We played during the mid afternoon, a couple of other bands on.

Last band on were doing the usual rock/soul/classic covers but what was odd was the guitarist used exactly the same guitar sound for every single song, from Proud Mary to SCoM to Alright Now to Uptown Funk….full on metal grind. Pretty odd really. 

Anyone else on here use the same sound for every cover they do??
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    Sounds like our set. I went through everything from every Gibson, Fender, Charvel etc and settled (after 25 years) on a PRS Vela. splittable HB, Gretsch single coil. 
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    Sounds like our set. I went through everything from every Gibson, Fender, Charvel etc and settled (after 25 years) on a PRS Vela. splittable HB, Gretsch single coil. 
    One guitar is fine…..but do you use the same tone/sound for every song?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24324
    I've got a generic rock sound that can be used for a wide range of stuff, but I wouldn't use a full on metal tone for everything.
    Unless I was actually in a covers band that did metal covers of pop songs like Leo / Frogleap Studios does.

Mind you - one person's metal tone is early Judas Priest, and another person's is Meshuggah.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    edited June 2023
    No way! The pleasure of playing covers is the variety of styles you get to experience. Same guitar. Same amp and speakers. There’s so much you can do with amp and FX settings. Then there’s the different ways you play the instrument.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413
    I don’t touch the amp and will use the same guitar but constantly change pickups, vary the gain, use fingers or pick  and add a touch of delay here and there 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Mind you - one person's metal tone is early Judas Priest, and another person's is Meshuggah.
    Fair point. For reference it made sense in SCoM, less so in Livin’ La Vida Loca.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16296
    I remember years ago having worked out little variations for each song using the positions on my strat and my couple of pedals and hearing a tape back of the gig and realising that everything sounded exactly the same. Although I basically continued on that path part of me knew that a lot of this stuff just gets lost in the mix and you either need big changes (eg massive fuzz) or no changes. 
    Anyway, yes some people use far too much distortion for what they are playing. If you are compressing the hell out of your signal and have loads of sustain then a lot of things become easier to play. They just sound crap. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1343
    edited June 2023
    I remember years ago having worked out little variations for each song using the positions on my strat and my couple of pedals and hearing a tape back of the gig and realising that everything sounded exactly the same. Although I basically continued on that path part of me knew that a lot of this stuff just gets lost in the mix and you either need big changes (eg massive fuzz) or no changes. 
    Anyway, yes some people use far too much distortion for what they are playing. If you are compressing the hell out of your signal and have loads of sustain then a lot of things become easier to play. They just sound crap. 
    I've found exactly the same listening back to live recordings. So much of what we think is important and will change the sound just gets absolutely lost in the barrage of noise once the drums and bass kick in.
    Hearing it back I couldn't tell if my chorus was on or off sometimes once the full band were playing... sh*it ..sometimes I didn't  even know if I had distortion on or off at some points !! Subtle effect changes just get lost ( I can always tell when I'm using a wah though!). 

I do all the stuff Danny1969 states in his post above - I mean that 's right and proper electrical guitar playing and technique ? but ... I do sometimes wonder for who's benefit I'm doing it for...and if I'd be better off a) staying on my bridge pickup all night b) leaving my guitar volume knob alone  b) taking less gear to gigs !
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    They had some pedals on the floor they were taping on occasionally and it was all miced up through a decent PA but I detected no difference in tone through their entire set….decent enough gear (Engl amp) and an ok player….clearly not just a beginner.
  • lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3333
    Rowby1 said:
    One guitar is fine…..but do you use the same tone/sound for every song?
    I use HX, so can go from AC30 to MESA instantly, so coupled with a versatile guitar, everything is there.  . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited June 2023
    I think it's fine if it sounds good.

I mean, if it was acoustic guitar that would be OK right? 
    edited June 2023

No I don’t think it would. SCoM and Alright Now on acoustic (for example) would have been equally as strange I think. 

And I think the first comment is exactly my point….it didn’t.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1343
    Rowby1 said:

No I don’t think it would. SCoM and Alright Now on acoustic (for example) would have been equally as strange I think. 

Slash & Myles Kennedy - Sweet Child O' Mine (ACOUSTIC) | SiriusXM | Octane - YouTube
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    edited June 2023
    CaseOfAce said:
    Rowby1 said:

Slash & Myles Kennedy - Sweet Child O' Mine (ACOUSTIC) | SiriusXM | Octane - YouTube
    I’m not saying you can’t play those songs on acoustic guitar. This was a four piece band with bass, drums, 1 guitar and vocal. 

What I’m questioning is why a guitarist in a covers band doing a broad variety of songs would choose to use the same sound/tone for every song. 
  • As long as the crowd are having a good time and the band are locked in, guitar sound isn't a priority anymore.  
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Rowby1 said:

I just meant in general, if you were doing an acoustic set of covers. Would you expect different guitars for each tune? 

If it sounded crap then fair enough, that's crap.
    Could be done though, is my point
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4102
    edited June 2023
    I used the same equipment and basic sound for every song and every band smiley 

1 amp with clean and dirty channel operated by foot switch
    1 mild overdrive pedal to use with either clean or dirty channel

And like others above vary pickups, volume, picking dynamics, etc to get tone and volume variation. 

Prolly only sounds different in my ears though,  prolly just sound like loud rock with far too many guitar solos to anyone else lol 
    Rowby1 said:

I just meant in general, if you were doing an acoustic set of covers. Would you expect different guitars for each tune? 

If it sounded crap then fair enough, that's crap.
    Could be done though, is my point
    In fact there was an acoustic duo on as well in the afternoon doing exactly that…..and doing it really well too! Their arrangements were adjusted well for the two acoustic guitars and voices. They were very good!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    I did hundreds of cover gigs with one guitar and 4 sounds:
    Compressed funk clean
    Gritty crunchy clean / dirty
    Plexi rock sound
    Mega shred 

and a boost and delay pedal for solos.

If I was more of a "ride the volume" sort of a guy I could have used less. 
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    I’m playing covers and at present I’m using a clean amp with a dual overdrive pedal. That gives me clean amp, two gain stages and I use a klone to boost any of the three.

I’ve also got delay and chorus pedals, and reverb and tremolo from my amp. I wouldn’t dream of just playing everything with one sound, I think that’s pretty lazy.