Budget mic preamp

What's Hot
stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 176
edited June 2023 in Studio & Recording
Im looking for a mic preamp that offers low noise operation for recording guitar amps.

The cheaper the better, possibly discrete circuitry with a basic hi and low EQ cut/boost.

Currently looking at:
Warm Audio WA12, WA73EQ and the Tone beast.
Golden Age Premier PREQ-73 

Something portable is a plus

Nothing fancy.

Can anyone chip in and reel off a few mic preamps between £300-£600 that offer decent low noise operation, something warm that colours the sound a little bit. Im not after transparent clean preamps.

Just preamp recommendations please. I'm not after an audio interface with preamps or anything else. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33798
    edited June 2023
    Get a used API 512C.
    They are on Reverb for £600.

Forget the copies.

If going Neve then the preamp is only part of it. It is the EQ too.
  • octatonic said:
    Get a used API 512C.
    They are on Reverb for £600.

Forget the copies.

If going Neve then the preamp is only part of it. It is the EQ too.
    Im not looking for 500 series modules as I don't have a chassis. Also, im not professionally recording, just looking for something budget, cheers buddy.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    For recording electric guitar you dont need low noise or a fancy preamp, spend the cash on mics.

Buy an SE Voodoo ribbon or Royer and put it alongside your SM57/Audix I5
  • For recording electric guitar you dont need low noise or a fancy preamp, spend the cash on mics.

With all due respect, this doesn't really help me.

I'm not looking for a fancy preamp, just something decent with a low noise floor for a relatively budget price. It's for recording demos in a small studio room.

What preamp do you use?

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6817
    If you are recording to a computer then get a good quality USB interface (focusrite, etc) and it will have a decent preamp, then process in the DAW.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    edited June 2023
    For recording electric guitar you dont need low noise or a fancy preamp, spend the cash on mics.

I'm not looking for a fancy preamp, just something decent with a low noise floor for a relatively budget price. It's for recording demos in a small studio room.

What preamp do you use?

I use a Great River me-1nv but mainly for acoustic guitars and vocals. Generally use the pres in my Audient interface for most other stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1015
    The FMR RNP seems to be a popular starting point.
  • mrkb said:
    If you are recording to a computer then get a good quality USB interface (focusrite, etc) and it will have a decent preamp, then process in the DAW.
    I already have a good quality USB interface with decent preamps (RME) But it's screwed into a rack and it's big and heavy.  
    mrkb said:
    I already have a good quality USB interface with decent preamps (RME) But it's screwed into a rack and it's big and heavy.  
    Get this:

https://reverb.com/item/69515343-universal-audio-710-twin-finity-pre-amp-4
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    octatonic said:
    mrkb said:
    Get this:

https://reverb.com/item/69515343-universal-audio-710-twin-finity-pre-amp-4
    That looks cool and appropriately tweakable for a distortion-introducer

@stylesforfree you could make an offer on this: https://reverb.com/uk/item/65542445-great-river-electronics-me-1nv-mic-preamp-2000s-black

You might get it at the top of your budget. It's been there for a long time. Bit less exciting than the UA though

The WA73-EQ is nice and does the thing, but it is clumsy to carry around. The EQ is useful if you're multitracking electric guitar

mrkb said:
    This is the most sensible answer, but also the most boring : -P

What preamp do you use?

Another option is an 8 channel preamp like the Audient ASP800.
    If you are comparing them to the Warm Audio and Golden Age stuff then they are comparable but cheaper per channel.
    Sonically cleaner- if you want something decent with a low noise floor then they are worth it.

Winton is right though, microphones (and mic technique) makes more of a difference.
    I prefer Neve style to API for guitars, the low mids are just nicer- but API are great too.
    I prefer the real deal/higher end options (BAE, Avedis, Neve, API, Great River) to the cheaper clones, which IMHO aren't really worth spending more than the preamps you get in your interface or in the Audient.

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    edited June 2023
    Honestly, if you're recording to a DAW then a decent interface is all you need.

You could do a lot worse than one of the SSL range, ie. one of SSL 2, SSL 2+, or SSL 12, depending on your requirements.

They've even got "something warm that colours the sound a little bit":

The Legacy 4K button injects a musical high frequency boost, alongside a controlled amount of finely tuned harmonic distortion. It's perfect for adding character and edge to your vocals and instruments.

I've got the 2+ and can't fault it.

R.
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 921
    I was going to suggest this, but it's supposed to be pretty transparent right? I think the OP is looking for something to colour the sound a bit.

@stylesforfree - what are you going to be plugging into and out of it (ie what mics and then what interface or recorder if not the RME)?
  • The FMR RNP seems to be a popular starting point.
    I was going to suggest this, but it's supposed to be pretty transparent right? I think the OP is looking for something to colour the sound a bit.

@stylesforfree - what are you going to be plugging into and out of it (ie what mics and then what interface or recorder if not the RME)?
    I have a couple of tascam multi tracks at my disposal (thanks to a friend). One is a mid 2000's digital multitrack and the other is a tascam 424.

Im gonna check out the RNP. Looks like a good choice.

octatonic said:

What preamp do you use?

If you are comparing them to the Warm Audio and Golden Age stuff then they are comparable but cheaper per channel.
    Sonically cleaner- if you want something decent with a low noise floor then they are worth it.

Winton is right though, microphones (and mic technique) makes more of a difference.
    I prefer Neve style to API for guitars, the low mids are just nicer- but API are great too.
    I prefer the real deal/higher end options (BAE, Avedis, Neve, API, Great River) to the cheaper clones, which IMHO aren't really worth spending more than the preamps you get in your interface or in the Audient.

Now that Audient looks impressive. Thank you.

Would be awesome if there was just a 2 channel version too.

I have a couple of tascam multi tracks at my disposal (thanks to a friend). One is a mid 2000's digital multitrack and the other is a tascam 424.

octatonic said:

What preamp do you use?

I have one for sale here: https://reverb.com/uk/item/69880783-audient-asp800-8-channel-microphone-preamp-adc-2010s-silver

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I just use a Chord Active DI with balanced output going into Focusrite and unbalanced going to my Marshall which goes through a Captor into the Focusrite.

That way I have my amped signal and also a dry for reamping or using VST amps. Or group the two tracks to align guitars to the grid (waveforms of the DI are much easier to see).
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9624
    The ART Pro MPA II is bang in budget and seems well regarded.
  • Cranborne Audio Camden is superb for the money. 
  • Cranborne Audio Camden is superb for the money. 
    Damn this looks and sounds incredible. Thanks 
  • The FMR RNP seems to be a popular starting point.

octatonic said:

What preamp do you use?

They did a 2 channel version called the Audient Mico. You might get one secondhand.