Tempted by an Atkin Forty Seven / Guild M-25e / Nathaniel Rateliff LG-2

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
Can anyone give me an insight into these models. I am used to playing dreadnought and jumbo styled guitars but miss the smaller bodied guitars.  I mainly strum with a little bit of fingerpicking.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    All I can tell you is that I travelled 160 miles in total to try two Atkin's, the Essential D and the 37.

I expected great things which, maybe was unfair of me. 

When I got to the stores and tried them, they didn't feel right, didn't sound right and I quickly put 'em down.

Maybe my expectations were too high?

:) 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    Mellish said:
    All I can tell you is that I travelled 160 miles in total to try two Atkin's, the Essential D and the 37.

I expected great things which, maybe was unfair of me. 

When I got to the stores and tried them, they didn't feel right, didn't sound right and I quickly put 'em down.

Maybe my expectations were too high?

Thanks @Mellish I had a similar scenario with a few of the Martin/Gibson’s that I tried. Originally I had my heart set on a hummingbird / J-45. The Atkin 43 that I tried sounded glorious on first strum it was so bloody resonant, the action was set a little too high for my taste but it stood out amongst the big brands.
    @builttospill ; I'm a big fan of the 'Bird. If you find a good one, you don't need much else.

But, if the Atkin spoke to you, you should fetch it home before it's gone. Why? Because another Atkin (even the exact same model) won't sound exactly like that one.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27138
    edited June 2023
    I’ve had a 47 for a couple of years, inspired by Chris Stapleton, Bon Iver and Phoebe Bridgers among others. 

Mine is an absolutely incredible instrument that I expect to take to the grave. Much more a finger picker than a strummer imo but it’s gorgeous 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    The thinner necked models didn't resonate with me but the all mahogany dustbowl was great. Unfortunately the sales pitch atmosphere in the shop I was in put me off and can't see myself returning there to try again.
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Frets: 200
    edited June 2023
    GUILD….?Brought my first Guild yesterday after many years of top end Martins.Very very impressed.
    GUILD….?Brought my first Guild yesterday after many years of top end Martins.Very very impressed.
    Which Guild did you get?
  • GUILD….?Brought my first Guild yesterday after many years of top end Martins.Very very impressed.
    Which Guild did you get?
    I was looking specifically for all solid mahogany OM.Budget was not crucial really.Played many the one that stood out was a Guild OM 120.( not USA made but still solid woods)With new strings it’s great.Saved myself a shed load of money.I appreciate its all personal taste etc but suits me.Hope this helps.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    Thanks @Mellish I had a similar scenario with a few of the Martin/Gibson’s that I tried. Originally I had my heart set on a hummingbird / J-45. The Atkin 43 that I tried sounded glorious on first strum it was so bloody resonant, the action was set a little too high for my taste but it stood out amongst the big brands.
    I wonder if the high action made it sound better? I could be wrong but I think higher action = more string vibration = better sound (usually).

I haven't tried any Atkins, unfortunately. I agree with @Mellish that you should try to get the one you tried which you loved as they may not all be exactly the same, but at the same time if you're going to have to lower the action to get it to play the way you want, that may change the tone too!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Dave_Mc said:
    I wonder if the high action made it sound better? I could be wrong but I think higher action = more string vibration = better sound (usually).  
    its not so much  "higher action = more string vibration"  as  "higher action = less chance of string rattle/being "subdued" by hitting a fret"  as a low action might
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    bertie said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    its not so much  "higher action = more string vibration"  as  "higher action = less chance of string rattle/being "subdued" by hitting a fret"  as a low action might
    Yes, that's probably what I meant to say!  Honest... =)
    Lower action can take away all an acoustic's fire. Dropping a Martin dread below 2mm at the 12th.usually has that effect.

Dave_Mc said:

I haven't tried any Atkins, unfortunately. I agree with @Mellish that you should try to get the one you tried which you loved as they may not all be exactly the same, but at the same time if you're going to have to lower the action to get it to play the way you want, that may change the tone too!
    Thanks all for the suggestions, it’s total bloody minefield and none the wiser, so much choice!  
    Dave_Mc said:

Thanks all for the suggestions, it’s total bloody minefield and none the wiser, so much choice!  
    I'm ridiculously indecisive- I'm very good at spotting things which make a decision more difficult... much less good at spotting things which make it easier unfortunately!
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    Dave_Mc said:
    I'm ridiculously indecisive- 
    you said you werent......................................................................................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    bertie said:
    you said you werent......................................................................................  
    =)
    Mellish said:
    @builttospill ; I'm a big fan of the 'Bird. If you find a good one, you don't need much else.

But, if the Atkin spoke to you, you should fetch it home before it's gone. Why? Because another Atkin (even the exact same model) won't sound exactly like that one.

Well I’ve gone full bloody circle with this and have finally made a decision after a post b’day visit to Guitar Guitar in Epsom today, I’m going for a Hummingbird Original Antique Natural. The playability and tone of this particular model just blew everything out of the way. It just felt right. A very very close second choice was the amazing Atkin Dustbowl 0014 and 00014 I was really surprised by how excellent these two models were. I was so close to pulling the trigger on the 00014. I arrived at 11am and left at 4:00pm with a lunch break between to mull over options.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    There's something about the dustbowls in particular, isn't there....
    There's something about the dustbowls in particular, isn't there....
    Hi @thomasross20 ;The 000-14 was simply excellent, really great for bluesy lead work, notes seemed to ring for ages, I really enjoyed the dropped D tuning. I also kept going back to the J-43 but struggled a little with the slim neck.