Recording acoustic guitar video with iPhone

What's Hot
GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
edited June 2023 in Acoustics
I'm just using the internal phone mic which is ok but not great so I'm looking for something that is going to take things up a level...not particularly looking for studio quality but better than what I currently have.
I've read around a bit and I'm aware there are mics that plug directly into the phone or adapters that allow you to plug in an external microphone, etc. Then again maybe I'd be better ditching the phone and going with something like a zoom q4n or such like?

Any suggestions appreciated. 

I'd prefer something quick and simple to use that doesn't require recording video/audio separately then syncing later via a laptop.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3722
    Something like a Zoom IQ7? https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/mobile-audio-recorders/ios-microphones/iq7/

Plugs into the Lightning socket on your phone.
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    drofluf said:
    Something like a Zoom IQ7? https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/mobile-audio-recorders/ios-microphones/iq7/

Thank you, I'll have a look into that.

• drofluf said:

I have a similar request but use a Samsung android phone, can you recommend something for me please?
    drofluf said:

I have a similar request but use a Samsung android phone, can you recommend something for me please?
    Zoom do an AM7 that they say works with Android. But I have no experience of it and even less experience of Android phones I’m afraid. 
    @drofluf, do you have any direct experience with the zoom IQ7, if so does it do the job?
    Yes I had one until a few years ago. I sold it when I got a self contained recorder. Definitely gave better results than the inbuilt microphone 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2023
    drofluf said:
    Yes I had one until a few years ago. I sold it when I got a self contained recorder. Definitely gave better results than the inbuilt microphone 
    Thanks @drofluf, which self contained recorder did you get? I'm not against going down that route if it yields better results. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12410
    I have a zoom iq6 which gives better sound recording than the iPhone mic, worth the cost for me but I’m not a professional YouTuber so only used for home recordings.  
    Gandalph said:
    drofluf said:
    Thanks @drofluf, which self contained recorder did you get? I'm not against going down that route if it yields better results. 
    It was a Zoom H2, can’t say it gave better results than the IQ. I ended up using it as a usb mic as moving SD cards around or mounting it as an external drive became too tedious. 

If you go the self contained route you’ll then need to sync your audio and video. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Also looking to upgrade.

I have a Toneport UX2 and SM57 & Rode NT1. Need to check if I need a better interface and also decent value 2x mics to point one at soundhole and other towards neck. 
    drofluf said:
    Gandalph said:
    drofluf said:
    It was a Zoom H2, can’t say it gave better results than the IQ. I ended up using it as a usb mic as moving SD cards around or mounting it as an external drive became too tedious. 

If you go the self contained route you’ll then need to sync your audio and video. 
    Ah ok, understood. The IQ gets decent reviews as does the Shure MV88.
    I need to spend some time reading around a bit I think.
    Thinking further on this if you want sound & vision then an iPhone, or any other all-in-one unit, is likely to be a compromise as the best place for the camera is unlikely to be the best place for the mic and vice-versa. 
    edited June 2023
    drofluf said:
    Thinking further on this if you want sound & vision then an iPhone, or any other all-in-one unit, is likely to be a compromise as the best place for the camera is unlikely to be the best place for the mic and vice-versa. 
    Good point. From reading around a little there could be a solution for anyone else  thinking of going down this route ....the Sure MV88 video kit. 
    The lead that's included is short and doesn't really let you have the mic and phone very far apart but apparently you can buy a separate lightning cable (quick search you can get them up to at least 3 meters) that fixes that issue. 

Edit: so far haven't read of anything else you can do this with, IQ7, etc. If anyone knows different please chime in. 
  • tomjaxtomjax Frets: 74
    That Zoom IQ7 looks clever, but I'm not sure I'd want all that bulk and weight sitting on just the tiny lightning connector. Chances of wrecking the socket seem pretty high. The Shure set up with a remote cable sounds far more secure.
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    I use an Zoom IQ6 (not the IQ7) on a lighting extension cable.
    So I can point the iPhone camera at myself.
    Place the mic wherever I want it to be - also pointing at me.
    Works rather nicely - you be the judge.

Jay
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 826
    Using an extension cable dissociates / separates the iPhone and microphone.

I can put either where I wish
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 260
    That’s a great advert for an iq6, I’m sorely tempted.
  • I've got a Zoom IQ6 I'd be happy to let go of for next to nothing, as I can't use it due to it messing with the iPhone's accessibility stuff relating to blindness and speech output. Works perfectly just doesn't do what I need it to do as  a blind iPhone user. Hit me up if you'd like a cheap deal lol.
    jaymenon said:
    Using an extension cable dissociates / separates the iPhone and microphone.

I can put either where I wish
    I was wrong then and the lightning extension cable can be used with the zoom mic's too. 

And yes that is a great advert for the zoom mic, good stuff. 
    @jaymenon forgot to ask when you use the extension cable to separate the phone and mic do you use any sort of tripod to hold the mic upright or just let it rest wherever you put it?