Dell XPS, graphics card & recording setup

thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
edited June 2023 in Studio & Recording
I only ever get DELL XPS desktops. 

They seem to last me 5-6 years then I replace. That time is coming.

I've done YouTube vids in past but I'm thinking that going forward, I can't be arsed lol. So the lowest cost XPS is £1200 and has a good spec, the next up is £1600 and main difference is upgrade from integrated graphics to GeForce 3060. I'll only be using tracktion for audio recording and watching YouTube videos and whereas in past I've shelled out, I'm wondering if I really need that graphics card. Thoughts?

Secondly...
I want to record acoustic + vox. 

I have a Toneport UX2 but I'm not 100% sure the noise floor is ok. Scarlet seem to be good, right? That then leaves the "which mic(s)" question. I have an SM58, a Rode NT1 and a Zoom H2n. Could these do or am I better wiping the slate clean and going for a matched pair? Really appreciate the help here as I'm a bit out of the recording game.... And I'm no Elvis, so moderate spend preferred. Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    You dont need a fancy pc for what you're doing. Anything with an 8th gen i5 or up will handle what you throw at it. If need be buy used from 2 years ago if your pc is dying or keep using the pc. Spend less on the pc (disposable/depreciation tech)and more on the mics/hardware. 

Re Interfaces, focusrite or audient will do. 
    What monitors do you have? No point revording mixing if you dont really know what you're hearing. Aim to spend £500 plus and a decent set of closed back headphones.

Re mics, for acoustic and vox in a crap room maybe a Senn md441. In a treated, very large or non-reflective room then a better quality large diaphragm condenser, higher end Aston, Lauten, Warm Audio, Golden Age etc. 
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Yeah I don't really want to spend £1k+ if I can help it. I am very tired of sitting at the PC and look forward to just playing my acoustic when album is done. 

I do have an i7 xps now with geforce card and that struggles a touch with video editing so my only concern was that if I did want to do editing, I'd be a scuppered. But for all that I'm using it, I think it'd be a waste of £££ to get the £1600 option. As you say, better to get the mics etc. 

I have the small genelec monitors with the bases at bottom. Best buy I ever made. Also have decent headphones. 

Thanks for the reply and mic recommendations. 

Another query... Toneport ux2 has built in effects for guitar, vocals etc. Does focusrite , Audient have these? I am guessing not...

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    They won't have built in effects no, I'd just use free vsts with whichever DAW you tend to use.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Excellent, I appreciate you helping out - thank you!