Home recording - suggestions for replacement of emulated output on amp

What's Hot
Hi All

I'm trying to get back into gigging so I need to produce demo in order to get gigs. So I have made guide track to a few songs on audacity, and the drummer has played along to it so we have drum tracks captured. 

Only issue is whilst recording my guitar using the emulated output on a ht20 MK1, it's gone fizzy and sounds like a zvex fuzz pedal is perm on it so it's now unusable. 

The only other amp I have is a Orange Pedal Baby which has no recording output.

So I wondered if anyone can suggest something that can do the job of the broken emulated output from my ht20 ?

Xbox One Tag :- LunaticSalmon

Steam Tag :- Dickinstein

Origin Tag :- ATDickinson428

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4781
    I don't know enough about your HT20 or your Pedal Baby, but... If you are firmly on the path of recording direct without micing up a speaker cabinet, but you want to use a real amp, then I'd suggest a look at the Two Notes CAB M+. Vary flexible, very usable and gives decent results. The earlier model (CAB, no "plus" at the end) is exactly the same hardware and can be upgraded to CAB M+ status with a free firmware upgrade. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm open to any suggestions at this point. The only mic I have to hand is a SE electronics V3 vocal mic, but I'm not sure if that would do the job. Will look up the Two Notes CAB. Thanks :-)

• ewalewal Frets: 2583
    Not sure if this would work with your recording set-up, however I've recorded a lot of guitar using pedals, one of the American Sound pedals as an amp substitute (various clones available - Joyo, Horse, etc), going in to my laptop via an audio interface. The other suggestion of course is some sort of amp modeller.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't know enough about your HT20 or your Pedal Baby, but... If you are firmly on the path of recording direct without micing up a speaker cabinet, but you want to use a real amp, then I'd suggest a look at the Two Notes CAB M+. Vary flexible, very usable and gives decent results. The earlier model (CAB, no "plus" at the end) is exactly the same hardware and can be upgraded to CAB M+ status with a free firmware upgrade. 
    I'm open to any suggestions at this point. The only mic I have to hand is a SE electronics V3 vocal mic, but I'm not sure if that would do the job. Will look up the Two Notes CAB. Thanks :-)
    Hi All,

Amy from Two notes here! Great suggestion @TheBigDipper! @Dickinstein let us know if you have any questions on the C.A.B. M+!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4163
    edited June 2023
    ewal said:
    Not sure if this would work with your recording set-up, however I've recorded a lot of guitar using pedals, one of the American Sound pedals as an amp substitute (various clones available - Joyo, Horse, etc), going in to my laptop via an audio interface. The other suggestion of course is some sort of amp modeller.
    An excellent & very economical suggestion  & there are also Marshall , mess boogie & im sure a vox variant too 
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    I've previously recorded the preamp of my HT50 and then added power tubes/cab as IRs in my DAW instead of the emulated out. I simply put the preamp in the send/return loop of a Boss GT100 (i.ie. a 4 cable method setup) and used the unit as an audio interface through USB. 

I believe you could run the FX loop out directly into your interface then add the IRs making sure there's a speaker load connected. Bear in mind it will sound terrible just recording the preamp as the cab IRs vastly improve the sound. These days I still use the GT100 to record with but most of the time use a Victory Kraken pre-amp and Mooer Radar IR pedal in the loop with the bonus of the cab IR already loaded up.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7770
    I'm open to any suggestions at this point. The only mic I have to hand is a SE electronics V3 vocal mic, but I'm not sure if that would do the job. Will look up the Two Notes CAB. Thanks :-)
    Use the v3 and mic the amp. Cheapest and most likely best sounding option unless you want to spend a few hundred on a good amp modeller. 
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    ewal said:
    An excellent & very economical suggestion  & there are also Marshall , mess boogie & im sure a vox variant too 
    Yes - I've only ever used the American Sound (Fender) variant - one of the best £30 I've ever spent on guitar gear. I've heard good things about the Vox (AC Tone?) - assume the others are just as good too.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm going to see if there's anywhere around Nottingham I can try the two notes cab m , Moore radar or TC electronic impulse and see if I can try it with a OD200. But I will try using my se V3 this weekend :-)

• Mooer

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3673
    edited June 2023
    Use a cab IR on the fizzy emulated out.

There are tonnes free online.  I have a Marshall DSL that has a fizzy emulated out.  I just add a cab sim in Reaper or Logic/Garageband and it sounds great,

install Reaper… endless free trial but sort the modest license.

load your fizzy guitar track

Add the ReaVerb fx plug-in to the guitar track, then in the ReaVerb interface choose ‘File’ and load an IR of something like a Marshall 4x12 or Vox 2x12 (my usual choice). Tweak with ReaEQ if needed.

You can get free cab IR files from: https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2010/10/01/free-sample-shootout-6-best-free-guitar-cabinet-impulse-responses/