Stacked it!

dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
I was looking out for a small practice amp and wandered across this beastie on reverb. Cheaper than most of the small combos and since I’d always lusted over Ashdowns as a teen, I kinda had to take the plunge. 

It’s the Perfect 10 head, sat on a wee pair of 1x10 cabs. 65 watts of transistor powered noise and a very simple eq. Total overkill in terms of size but I do love it. 
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72350
    Those are really cool.

You need a Marshall micro stack to go with it now :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5754
    Thank you chap. Many many moons ago I did have the MG15 stack, in the Zack Wilde finish of course. A really nice clean sound if I recall properly and definitely very cool. 
    dazzajl said:

Many many moons ago I did have the MG15 stack, in the Zack Wilde finish of course. A really nice clean sound if I recall properly and definitely very cool. 
    I used to have an original 80s Lead 12 stack in red. I’d actually like another, but they’re collectable money now. There’s an MG15 in the shop I used to work which if I’m honest probably sounds better, but… it’s not quite the same somehow ;).

With all these things, the stack looks great in your house, but the head is genuinely practical for a small gig if there’s a big cab available. Even 65W might be just enough for bass with an efficient 15 or 4x10.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maharg101maharg101 Frets: 685
    I've got that exact same Ashdown stack, picked mine up at cash converters:) it's brilliant, and as ICBM said, eminently giggable.
    This one goes to eleven

Trading feedback here
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    ICBM said:
    Those are really cool.

You need a Marshall micro stack to go with it now :).

Ampeg mini stacks are back now, aren't they? :o
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    GoFish said:

Ampeg mini stacks are back now, aren't they? :o
    I think so. I had the Micro VR - it looked and sounded very nice, but the fan noise was intrusive so I had to replace it with a quieter one, the vinyl peeled off the back of the cab, and worst of all, although it was rated for 4 ohms, it wouldn't handle all 4-ohm loads - with some cabs it went into a really nasty, completely unmusical clipping that sounded seriously hazardous to the output section. So I sold it... a shame to have to, but it was just not quite good enough.

maharg101 said:
    I've got that exact same Ashdown stack, picked mine up at cash converters:) it's brilliant, and as ICBM said, eminently giggable.
    Does seem a bit crazy that this was a bargain basement find. I definitely bought it as a present to my 17 year old self and didn’t expect it to actually be particularly good. It does a fantastic job of sounding really big even when it’s not being loud enough to cause any trouble outside the room. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Is that a birdseye maple neck?
    proggy said:
    No, that’s the grunge I added to pic because the light was really dull and the white wall behind wasn’t helping either. It’s a 100% blue collar affair. Though it is gorgeously rolled, which I thought was impressive for the bottom end of the ladder. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    dazzajl said:
    proggy said:
    No, that’s the grunge I added to pic because the light was really dull and the white wall behind wasn’t helping either. It’s a 100% blue collar affair. Though it is gorgeously rolled, which I thought was impressive for the bottom end of the ladder. 
    You've done a good job, it looks really nice.
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2286
    If I turned up to a small fly gig (like I get them all the time…) and was given that rig, I would not be disappointed.