Bookends

HippoPeteHippoPete Frets: 124

I'm conscious of the fact that I'm a lurker more than active contributor here but here is a brief tale that might entertain or provoke some memories for you low enders here

The picture is a Hohner B-Bass, it was my second ever bass guitar. For the curious, my first was a Columbus EB-3 copy bought from Courtney & Walker in Portsmouth, one of these traditional family style music shops as I hadn't graduated to the local semi-pro store yet (Telecoms for local nostalgia fans).

I'd started jamming regularly with a work mate who was miles better than I and the EB-3 was, frankly an embarrassment so a better instrument was sought out and a visit to Shirley in Southampton ensued (cannot remember the name of that particular store after 30 years).    

What was interesting is that I ended up choosing between a Squier Jazz and the B-Bass. Being so impressionable, the active electronics and drop-D tuner won out. Again, I can't remember exactly but I think the Hohner was about £199.

Moving forward some years and dicking around but never really achieving anything, an opportunity arose to play in front of people in a kind of pick-up band for one of my close friend's 40th birthday bash. I've got the recording of this and it's quite poignant for me as the drummer's brother playing harmonica is now gone and my closest friend on guitar is gone too. 

However, this was the first time, HippoPete and aforementioned bass played in front of people. The assemblage decided to carry on and played together for a few years in a band called Last Orders.

The B-Bass didn't last that long as GAS soon took hold. Before the hype took over, I grabbed a candy apple red Tokai Jazz (which I regret selling ever since) and a host of other basses including a B-Bass five-string as it happens.

So why the picture?

After twenty years languishing in the loft, I dragged the old-timer out to see if it could make a final appearance (more of that in a minute). Stap me vitals, instead of a banana shaped unplayable neck, it was wonderful. I've spent a couple of hours today cleaning and lubricating the pots as a couple were seized up solid. Caig DeOxit D5 is horribly expensive but definitely worth it. The hawk eyed among you will notice that I've got Rotosound TruBass flat wounds on there and after two decades unused, they feel fine and a lot easier on the fingers of this occasional player.

In six months’ time, I'm playing again with most of the original members of that first band for a tribute charity gig to our bandmate that passed on. I think that this will be the final appearance of the bass and myself in public and provides an appropriate bookend of first and last gigs.

All the best,

They don't want your name, they just want your number.
0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GoFishGoFish Frets: 1411
    I started on a b-bass - it was definitely a cut above the Columbus style planks in the playability stakes.

I'd be interested to heear how you get on at the gig - and ni the run up to it ...
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7235
    Great story HippoPete.  Depending on what year you bought that bass, it could have been among the guitars that saw a great benefit from an overhaul of Hohner guitar design by Alan Entwistle.  I think there were a lot of very under-rated Hohner guitars.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    Thank you, HippoPete, we and our instruments have stories to tell, autobiographies really.