Just bought a digital piano

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17620
    tFB Trader
    The Supernatural engine on the Roland is actually very good so I don't have a big need for the complication of something else.

I have Piano V from Arturia which is fairly decent especially as a pack in with V Collection, but if I was going standalone then Pianoteq would be the direction rather than a multisample based instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited July 2023
    goldtop said:
    I thought that Noire is the mega-processed piano instrument? Not an accurate grand per se.
    There is a pure version and a felt version. I find myself being more inspired by the latter as it seems to aid creativity, which comes in handy when searching for new ideas. It also has a particle engine.

I suppose it all depends on what internal sounds you already have available to you. I have an old Yamaha digital piano and the keys are great, but the internal sounds are decidedly uninspiring. The other software I use is Pianoteq, which is light on resources and goes beyond normal piano sounds. If you want accuracy there are lot's of good libraries out there from Garritan, VSL, Synthogy, East West, etc., plus the all-in-one collections.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 334
    edited July 2023
    Chris.B said:
    Thanks @goldtop I'll spend a bit of time listening to the demo samples on Native's website.

It's the last day of their summer sale today, so there is a bit of time pressure, unless they are one of these companies who have a sale every month. 
    They have regular sales and they have also taken over Plugin Alliance, Brainworx & iZotope.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Chris.BChris.B Frets: 285
    Thanks @Vintage65. I installed Pro Tools Intro and found a good piano Vst included. It's good enough for me whilst I learn
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24286
    I'm glad you got a digital one. They hold their value.

Nobody likes the ones you can only play with body parts that aren't digits.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6123
    It looks impressive. You never know, if you can apply yourself you just might be the next John Shuttleworth. :grin: 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 843
    Im going to completely go against those saying learn chords....  dont.   Learn how chords are made up.  The Keyboard looks intimidating but its just a small part repeated over and over.  If you learn the interval patterns for maj, min, maj 7th, min 7th, augmented, diminished etc - then you can play any chord a lot quicker than learning lots of patterns - particularly as in piano you can play the same chord,repeateddly in different inversions, and it still sounds different and impressive (Howard Jones did this a lot in his 80s songs). 

Id also say - find a couple of scale practice exercises on youtube - ones that use BOTH hands together.  You only need a couple (cant remember which I used -but I found 5 exercises played every day for 3-4 months and never looked back).  Being able to use the left hand as well as the right - and independently (which is why you use both together playing scales - for instance right hand goes up as left goes down so there similar but different) is very important to any piano style.

Ive only been playing 5 years, and most people that hear me are shocked how short a time I have been playing.  All self taught, and using those tips. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CrankyCranky Frets: 2630
    Im going to completely go against those saying learn chords....  dont.   Learn how chords are made up.  The Keyboard looks intimidating but its just a small part repeated over and over.  If you learn the interval patterns for maj, min, maj 7th, min 7th, augmented, diminished etc - then you can play any chord a lot quicker than learning lots of patterns - particularly as in piano you can play the same chord,repeateddly in different inversions, and it still sounds different and impressive (Howard Jones did this a lot in his 80s songs). 

Id also say - find a couple of scale practice exercises on youtube - ones that use BOTH hands together.  You only need a couple (cant remember which I used -but I found 5 exercises played every day for 3-4 months and never looked back).  Being able to use the left hand as well as the right - and independently (which is why you use both together playing scales - for instance right hand goes up as left goes down so there similar but different) is very important to any piano style.

Ive only been playing 5 years, and most people that hear me are shocked how short a time I have been playing.  All self taught, and using those tips. 

This is pretty much what I was gonna say.

Playing chords and knowing how chords are built should go hand in hand, but they often don’t for guitar players.  Piano is a great alibi for learning some more of that theory and how to harmonize different scales more interestingly than guitar allows for because 10 fingers.

Piano is also a good alibi for working on sight reading.
  • The Supernatural engine on the Roland is actually very good so I don't have a big need for the complication of something else.

I have Piano V from Arturia which is fairly decent especially as a pack in with V Collection, but if I was going standalone then Pianoteq would be the direction rather than a multisample based instrument.
    Me and my son bought a similar keyboard during lockdown but its an 88 key model which is much too big for home use. At least in our house anyway. I am looking at mini keyboards now instead. I assume you have the space and I hope you enjoy using it. I'd like to add some keyboard skills to my limited guitar skills.