Rick Froberg (Hot Snakes, Drive Like Jehu)

What's Hot
DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2566
Died suddenly, reportedly of natural causes, on Friday at the age of 55.  Absolutely gutted.  Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes, Pitchfork, Obits...a string of amazing bands, usually accompanied by John Reis, and for me, the quintessential garage-punk singer.  A killer raw-edged voice, with an ever-present ghoulish pitch-black humour to his lyrics.

This one seems about as fitting as you could ever hope for...

RIP Rick
New fangled trading feedback link right here!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• tbmtbm Frets: 581
    Absolutely gutted. Every band he was in was class. Great guitar player too. 

Met him a few times. A lovely man. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One of the greatest ever to do it, period.

The Froberg/Reis dual guitars that powered Drive Like Jehu and Hot Snakes are everything I have ever aspired to in playing in a band. And Rick might be the greatest rasper/howler of the last 30 years. Plus, an incredibly nice and unassuming guy who happened to be a genius artist too. Really hurts that he's gone.

I wonder if the almost-finished 5th Hot Snakes LP will ever see the light of day? For the sake of celebrating Rick's life and legacy, I really hope so, even if it will be hard to stomach never seeing him play them in the flesh.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tbmtbm Frets: 581

I wonder if the almost-finished 5th Hot Snakes LP will ever see the light of day? For the sake of celebrating Rick's life and legacy, I really hope so, even if it will be hard to stomach never seeing him play them in the flesh.
    Hopefully they were at the mixing stage. When the were touring around Jericho Sirens in 2017 he told us they had another album recorded.  Hopefully it comes out, or they find a way to finish it. 

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom