Strobe lights

What's Hot
RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
Does anybody know if there's any liability or law regarding strobe lights at shows. Or is it just a case of notices have to be placed up?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Haven’t used them in a couple of decades, there used to be a limit to how many minutes in the hour back in the 80s but not sure if that was local or National. Anyway bloody annoying things other than a brief novelty effect.
    I think it might be national law because of triggering epilepsy (hence the TV warnings about flash photography in news items etc.) Don’t know the specifics though these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28241
    I'd avoid on the basis that you know it'll put some people off. I don't have epilepsy but I find strobes pretty unpleasant. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24280
    edited July 2023
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/aztopics/strobe-lighting

Personally I think using them at all these days isn't a cool thing to do.

I'm suspicious of anyone who basically asks "if I do X am I liable....?" about something they know can cause medical problems for people.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RkphilpotRkphilpot Frets: 172
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/safety/resources/aztopics/strobe-lighting

Personally I think using them at all these days isn't a cool thing to do.

I'm suspicious of anyone who basically asks "if I do X am I liable....?" about something they know can cause medical problems for people.
    Appreciate your input, I've been to a lot of shows recently that use them; Muse, Pendulum, Biffy Clyro, Enter Shikari, when used tastefully they are very effective.

I'm not sure that somebody wanting to find where liability lies, should an unwanted incident occur, makes them suspicious though, how do you mean?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16295
    Photosensitive epilepsy is fairly uncommon (just a small percentage of people with epilepsy) and those people who know they have it are likely to avoid rock shows. Although they might not be expecting strobe lighting down the proverbial Dog and Duck so it may depend where you intend to use strobe lighting.I think people are more likely to find it unpleasant in smaller spaces as well. 
    I did used to know someone who had it and she would wave her fingers about in front of lights to induce a seizure as she quite liked having them. I don’t think that’s the usual experience though! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • steven70steven70 Frets: 1263
    edited July 2023
    Rkphilpot said:
    Does anybody know if there's any liability or law regarding strobe lights at shows. Or is it just a case of notices have to be placed up?
    Just put up a notice on the door and anywhere else with a warning that strobes may be used.
    Lasers/smoke is different I think you need to confirm with the venue.

Lightshows are great, bring it on.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3128
    At this point mention Risk Assessment Public Liability insurance
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom