Peterson Tuners

What's Hot
Anybody tried these? I read they're much better and more accurate than Snark... Worth it? 

Was going to comment on version that doubles up as metronome but not sure if folk here play to a metronome or not (I don't, yikes!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Also... Anybody tried the app as it's obviously cheaper
  • MellishMellish Frets: 947
    I have the StroboClip; in fact, two.

I believe it first came out in all-alloy. Beautiful thing but the digital display isn't very bright.
    It was replaced by a black plastic version. Looks cheaper but the display is much clearer. 

More accurate than a Snark? I have Snark, too, but StroboClip is my go-to. Amongst many others, there's an ACU mode and a Sweetener one. 

Worth the money? IMO, yes. 

:) 
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    Very accurate but take a bit of getting used to.  I wouldn’t use anything else now
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 340
    The StroboClip is excellent - a step up from the Snarks I've owned. The sweetened tunings are a nice feature too.
    There's something else to consider in a Peterson-Snark shootout though.

PM''d
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    I use a Peterson pedal on my board, took a bit of getting used to, tempered tuning especially good for an acoustic but maybe too accurate when your tuning mid gig. You can get hung up on getting the strobe absolutely static when a bit of wobble is actually in tune! ( use one you’ll understand what I’m on about!)

But check this out for your acoustic , no more antennas hanging off the headstock, I have them on my acoustics and very happy 
    https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/tuners/micro-soundhole-tuner/
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 463
    I had a stroboclip- it was great til I lost it at a rehearsal.  Probably get another one as the snark I have is rubbish. 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5495
    Simply the best. Bloody dear, and worth every penny. Supremely accurate, readable even in direct sunlight, usable without reading glasses, easier to use than any other once you get the hang of it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I'm all for simplicity. But if they're great and worth it... 
    So..... is the app as good as the hardware? 
    I'm just thinking Birthday/Christmas presents (capo, tuner etc)
  • GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    As other's have said it is probably the best out there. 

I bought the app as well which is ok but not as good as having the actual tuner clipped to your headstock as it can be more sensitive to background noise.Handy to have though when your out and about trying guitars in shops, etc. 

edited July 2023
    This is more about sensitivity

We often use a tuner to get the note we want when tensioning the head of a banjo. We tap the head and listen past the tap. There's a note, not an obvious one but it's there. 

There's only one clip-on tuner I know of that will display that faint note: Snark.

Saying this, Peterson is still my go-to for acoustic guitar. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16736
    I have an old stroboflip and wouldn't use anything else for set-ups

the only downsides are the slight learning curve reading the display, and the obsessiveness this can create.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3722
    I use a Peterson pedal on my board, took a bit of getting used to, tempered tuning especially good for an acoustic but maybe too accurate when your tuning mid gig. You can get hung up on getting the strobe absolutely static when a bit of wobble is actually in tune! ( use one you’ll understand what I’m on about!)

But check this out for your acoustic , no more antennas hanging off the headstock, I have them on my acoustics and very happy 
    That would be my recommendation as well. I’ve got a couple unfortunately the soundboard on my Brook is too thick so I can’t use one on that guitar. 

Is the Peterson really more accurate than other tuners? I’ve done a side-by-side test of 5 tuners: a Snark, D’Addario Nexus, Donner Pedal, the tuner on a Zoom multi fx and my son’s ears*. They all came out the same. 

*he is blessed/cursed with perfect pitch. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 754
    Costwise 1 Peterson stroboclip = 2 Snark Supertights

But neither are mega-expensive.

Personally as acoustic player never needed more than wot I get from a Snark and just put one on each instrument so I think I'll stay a Snarkboy!

:-)

Peterson StroboClip HD | guitarguitar
    Snark ST2 Clip-On Chromatic ALL INSTRUMENT TUNER : Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments & DJ

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1974
    I like Peterson tuners above all else. I've a strobo stomp and the desk one with the metronome option which is great for setting up intonation accurately. I didn't know they did a clip tuner so thanks chaps. I'm now going to have to go out and buy one. I have a clip on TC Electronics Polytune which sometimes gets confused even if you damp all the other strings. Same when you use it as a polytune. Bit too hit and miss. Has a cheap Korg clip on tuner which seemed to be quite good but that seems to have gone walkabout. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3137
    drofluf said:

That would be my recommendation as well. I’ve got a couple unfortunately the soundboard on my Brook is too thick so I can’t use one on that guitar. 

Is the Peterson really more accurate than other tuners? I’ve done a side-by-side test of 5 tuners: a Snark, D’Addario Nexus, Donner Pedal, the tuner on a Zoom multi fx and my son’s ears*. They all came out the same. 

*he is blessed/cursed with perfect pitch. 
    Yes I think it is comparing two guitars side by side in a quiet room, but as I said in my comment about the wobble , I’m not convinced actual metered accuracy translates into an audible difference hence what you’ve found with your tuner experiment. After all a pitch is a sine wave at a certain frequency so which bit of that wave is the actual note?

@thomasross20 with regards to the app, unless you have a means of connecting your phone physically to the guitar whilst tuning, it’s a pain in the proverbial trying to hold your phone close enough to the guitar whilst plucking a string and turning a tuning peg. Hard enough at home where it’s quiet, in a noisy gig environment nearly impossible!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    edited July 2023
    Point taken re the app, thank you!
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    WezV said:
    I have an old stroboflip and wouldn't use anything else for set-ups

the only downsides are the slight learning curve reading the display, and the obsessiveness this can create.
    Strobe mode on the TU-3 has pincers when you get to pitch to indicate that you can stop obsessing now and get on with your life. A much welcomed feature
    Peterson are very good, as many have said and I agree with 'em.

BUT..... relying on tuners means you're not training your ears which (imho) you *should* be doing. 

Just thrown in FWIW :)