10 guitarists play solos over the same track.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3078
    sweepy said:
    What would be an even better way, first play through without hearing the track before, real seat of the pants instinctive playing 
    Or even recording a solo before you've downloaded the backing track.. It's in Am... go! Just hope something lines up. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    The art of improvising is that, an art, plying off the cuff and extrapolating ideas in real time is a lot more impressive than pre planning a roadmap of a solo 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22930
    I've been meaning to watch this for a couple of days, and now I have... let's be honest, I had to fast forward through most of it.  It's way too highbrow for me, and the sight of Paul Davids gurning away in the top right-hand corner of every clip is very offputting. 

I liked Kfir's solo because it's a bit more rocking and aggressive.  The others can all do one.

Josh Smith could easily get a role in The Rings of Power if they ever do another series.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14287
    tFB Trader
    In the spirit of Solo of the Month challenges, I'll vote as follows :)

1st : 5 points : Rabea : An elegant, very musical approach. Expressive. Understated. Most sympathetic to the backing track.

2nd : 3 points : Ross Campbell : Nice bluesy expressive feel. Some great subtleties.

3rd : 1 point : Martin Miller : Staggering technique, control and phrasing. Sounded the most technically accomplished.

But they're all fantastic,so it's just down to personal taste.

I think those 3 were my favs - Paul davids pushing them close
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Chris Buck has put up his own contribution:

https://youtu.be/6NGVNwjQtjk 
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14287
    tFB Trader
    In the spirit of Solo of the Month challenges, I'll vote as follows

1st : 5 points : Rabea : An elegant, very musical approach. Expressive. Understated. Most sympathetic to the backing track.

2nd : 3 points : Ross Campbell : Nice bluesy expressive feel. Some great subtleties.

3rd : 1 point : Martin Miller : Staggering technique, control and phrasing. Sounded the most technically accomplished.

But they're all fantastic,so it's just down to personal taste.

I think those 3 were my favs - Paul davids pushing them close
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 788
    Quite like what @bad_alice did with it. 

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    What a great video.

5 points - Josh Smith, never really listened to Josh, but this was brilliant, with that Tele tone came through like a freight train with a passion and intensity only matched by….

3 points - Mateus Asato, a little overplayed perhaps, but Jesus what a player.

1 point - Ross Campbell, no idea who this guy is but a very coherent and tasty solo.
  • DuploLicksDuploLicks Frets: 257
    I’ve listened to the solos a few times trying to figure out what was stopping me from liking the technical & musical talent. I’ve concluded that the backing track was quite busy which meant that a lot of the folk played out of the track at some point which to me felt like (talented) noodling but not playing as a whole

on coming back through the solos I’m going on that basis

3rd. Heyyyyy it’s Marty. Nice little solo. Not overplayed & compliments very well

2nd. Julia. Lovely sound & just flows very well with the backing track

1st. Ross. He stretches my rule to the point but it does add a nice bit of aggression while not overplaying
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Interesting!

For me a lot of the driving force of what I like is set by the tone, and my faves for playing with tone being an integral part, were:

1 Ross Campbell and also Mateus Asato
    I just love the SC sound!

A surprising third for me was Paul Davids.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5002
    ! - none of them.
    It says solo and yet not a single one put their foot on the monitor,
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate these things. I’m sorry but what a load of w*nkery. Musak backing tracking and ‘emotive’ soloing.  

In this case Julia Lange was the best. There’s another one he’s done where the sole female player is also the best…go figure. 

There’s one where Tom Bukovac plays a good solo.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16103
    Julia Lange and Paul Davids for me both have a similar approach ......both very musical and tuneful........pretty for want of a better word.
    Josh Smith is a great player but I found his approach too aggressive .
  • SpoonManSpoonMan Frets: 140
    Philly_Q said:

Paul Davids gurning away in the top right-hand corner of every clip is very offputting.

What's that all about?!  =)

Not really my kind of thing. Some nice playing though. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    Just watched it all with headphones on. I'd never heard of any of them before apart from Rabea.
    I've been playing guitar since 1978 and couldn't do a quarter of what any of them did.

They all played outstandingly well and I enjoyed watching it, despite having 'Fruit Tree' by Nick Drake in my head the whole time.

I was most interested in the parts where people said they sang the melodies in their heads, mainly because that's what I do, but I'm more a songwriter than a lead player although I have been known to twang on occasion.