Falling in love all over again.

What's Hot
bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
I seem to be falling in love all over again with acoustic guitar,though I did have quite a long playing session on my cabronita last night and felt very refreshed. But like someone on hear said , playing acoustic is like having your own band. I don't know if the Martin bridge pins has anything to do with it, although they do give a lovely sound. I don't think I will be selling any electrics any time soon but they are getting less play time than usual.
Has this happened to any other members?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    Sort of happened to me.

I started in 1960. Various guitars from a cheap Kay to an Eko and on to Gibson and Martin. And from about 1970 to present its been either Martin or Gibson.

I served my apprenticeship, if you like, on the streets of Nottingham as a busker.

But although I liked acoustic guitars then (still do) it was always the five-string banjo that I was really in love with. Some things you just can't see for looking.

:) 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    Love the "serving apprenticeship as busker" bit!

I actually started off on nylon string classical. 
    Then 20+ years doing all sorts of electric. Some time in a band. 
    And still tying up loose ends from an album (largely electric but will be adding at least one acoustic piece). 

However... I play acoustic 99% of the time now. 
    I love the ferocity of an electric through an amp but without a band, it's just one cog that's not complete. 
    With acoustic, I can be the whole band... 
    And without having to plug in and all that nonsense. 
    And with a busy life, same as many... it's hard to improve, never mind keep up with electric at the same time. 
    Hence often wondering about selling an electric and dedicating myself to acoustic...
    Maybe also more singing, and writing SONGS. A more complete package for a solo player, so to speak. 

Only thing for me now is, trigger finger now is in both pinkies and I fear that is a precursor to family-run arthritis. 
    But I hope not... 
    And steel-strung guitar is definitely "harder" to play (also on a technical level, to be honest). 
    But a whole lot more fulfilling, for me. 

So yeah, it's almost like I've come full circle with the acoustic, too.
  • bluecatbluecat Frets: 580
    Sent you a P M Mellish.
    edited July 2023
    Family crisis.

Back  ASAP. 
  • builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 457
    I’ve gone back to acoustic guitar after 8 years with electrics and pedal addiction, as things stand my Gibson Hummingbird is one best guitar purchases I have ever made, I took my time with this one before splurging the cash. 
    Since May I have ruthlessly sold off all music related gear, samplers, synths, Line 6 helix, various pedals. Unfortunately I made a bit of a loss on moving on my Taylor 415 Jumbo (but I never bonded with that one) and I am about to sell my Princeton Reverb and one of my K-Lines. Not sure if it’s midlife crisis or I because I have lost interest in music gear? At the moment I don’t have the time or focus to learn the manuals of complex samplers or synths. I feel less overwhelmed, I have more room space and I kind of feel liberated. Sometimes an acoustic is all you need.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Wow, love it!! 
    Are you keeping any electric / amp gear?
    edited July 2023
    Wow, love it!! 
    Are you keeping any electric / amp gear?
    I will be aiming to keep one electric then I will get a simple digital desktop type amp. The Princeton will go, although smallish I still find it’s too loud for home use, it’s an amp that likes to be pushed.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2250
    I started on acoustic and played bass and electric at various times. I like all three playing more acoustic at the moment
    I probably ought to get rid of my pedals. 

Shifting an amp & cab is difficult. 

TBF shifting anything these days seems difficult.

Not sure what sort of desktop type amp is good these days. But smaller form factor sounds good (simple is also defo best)

Not sure what sort of desktop type amp is good these days. But smaller form factor sounds good (simple is also defo best)
    Hi @thomasross20 even selling on eBay things take time to move on now and their fees are a bit steep. For desktop amp I was thinking about one of the Yamaha THR30IIW or THR10II wireless I think there’s a setting for electro acoustics. I’ve never owned any of the Yamaha THR series, the older versions seem to be very popular. but then I know a few on here weren’t so impressed with the latest models even after getting some incredible reviews, I have a line 6 AMPLIFi 75 watter and tbh I had so much fun with that one but it’s a little cumbersome.

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 7349
    Hmmm.  Your thread title is pure clickbait.  I saw it, and your name, and my heart warmed for a moment as I mentally remarked "That's lovely.  It's nice to read and hear some good news for a change", until I discovered this was about guitars.  Tut, tut.  Meddling with peoples' emotions  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Hi @thomasross20 even selling on eBay things take time to move on now and their fees are a bit steep. For desktop amp I was thinking about one of the Yamaha THR30IIW or THR10II wireless I think there’s a setting for electro acoustics. I’ve never owned any of the Yamaha THR series, the older versions seem to be very popular. but then I know a few on here weren’t so impressed with the latest models even after getting some incredible reviews, I have a line 6 AMPLIFi 75 watter and tbh I had so much fun with that one but it’s a little cumbersome.

Ooooh the Yamaha THR 5W looks good. And wireless versions? Crikey. 
    Compact, does the job...
    But I'd never again get back my Neo 2*12 cab as they're not built anymore. 
    I do really like simplicity. Simple amp head, done. 
    Ultimate simplicity -> one acoustic :)

bluecat said:
    Sent you a P M Mellish.
    PM answered :) 
  • WoodandwiresWoodandwires Frets: 195
    Not to derail the thread, but I have a Yamaha THR5A the acoustic gold one I am looking to sell if anyone is interested. PM me for details.