New saddle for Martin 000 - help please!

What's Hot
I need a new saddle for my 000X1. The previous saddle was shortened to allow for a piezo and now I’ve got rid of the piezo so it just gets engulfed in the saddle slot. 

As far as I can tell, the thickness is just over 2mm, but most of the ones I can find online are 3mm thick.

Is this a Martin thing? I can see there’s an official Martin bone saddle with the right dimensions for £27.99 but I was hoping for something that’s under a tenner (yes times really are tight).

can anyone here point me in the right direction?

many thanks

jonny
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MellishMellish Frets: 947
    To be sure, measure the saddle slot length and width.
    (I believe the radius is 16")
    What you *should* have done was keep the factory saddle as is and have a new one made to use with the pickup.

:) 
  • LittlejonnyLittlejonny Frets: 135
    Mellish said:
    To be sure, measure the saddle slot length and width.
    (I believe the radius is 16")
    What you *should* have done was keep the factory saddle as is and have a new one made to use with the pickup.

Long story…It was on long term loan to a mate who lowered the saddle a lot for a very low action. Then I had a headway installed which was very deep so had to have the saddle slot deepened (as headway recommend) so it’s back as my main acoustic and I’m trying to set it up properly…
    If the saddle slot has been "deepened," a standard Martin saddle may not suit - depends what action you want at the 12th.

What you could try is shimming the saddle you have. That's free. 

Measure slot depth and glue ebony or bone to the bottom of the saddle to increase its height. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mellish said:
    What you could try is shimming the saddle you have. That's free. 

Measure slot depth and glue ebony or bone to the bottom of the saddle to increase its height. 

Good idea but sounds tricky. What kind of glue are we talking?
    Well a spot of superglue at each end should do it. Don't get any inside the slot or removing the saddle may be difficult

• ShadowShadow Frets: 72
    Is glue necessary? A properly cut shim should just sit at the bottom of the slot.
    @shadow it isn't necessary imo. 

The thing to bear in mind is not to use an unglued shim that's slightly too big. They can be devils when you want them out. 

Thanks both for the advice...I discovered that I already had a few saddles in my bits bag, and thought I'd see which one was the closest fit. Turns out one of them fit exactly, and even made the action spot on. It's like it was made-to-measure. It's a compensated bone one that came in a batch. I have no recollection of shaping it to fit. Weird. Anyway, she's strung up again and sounding better than ever. Thanks!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Glad to hear it.

Have fun :) 
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    edited July 2023
    Hey, you don't work for Disney do you? I thought they had the monopoly on fairy-tale endings   ;)
    Good result!