Sticky neck on open air gigs

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
I have played 2 festivals on the bounce over the last 2 weekends and have struggled a little bit with a really sticky feeling on the neck. Yes I have washed my hands, and it’s not just 1 guitar…. It’s all of the 4 I have taken out live. But it really is a pain and stops sliding into and out of notes.  Wondering if humidity (yes there was rain in the air on both nights) and then when I go to the guitars inside a few nights later….. no issues at all. They are all nitro finish (May or May not be the issue) but it’s bloody annoying and spoils my enjoyment. I can now see why snails pace slim used to use wd40! What am I doing wrong and any tips to resolve/minimise this phenomenon?

An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sharky77Sharky77 Frets: 211
    I had this last night aswell. Outdoor festival in Romania - got the guitar out to warm up and it was really sticky on the strings and frets aswell - really difficult to slide. I presumed it was due to the soundcheck being in the hot sun earlier in the day as when I got the guitar out of the case it was still really warm. I played it for about 10-15 mins and then washed my hands. Luckily I didn't notice it too badly during the actual performance. Would be very interested to hear if anyone has any solutions!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    Are those Nitro finished necks?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8721
    Sharky77 said:
    Would be very interested to hear if anyone has any solutions!
    Talcum powder. I learned about it from Jeff Beck.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    @Sharky77 ;
    Glad it’s not just me. Was there much difference between soundcheck and performance? We have had very short change overs so maybe I need to get them out of the cases a lot earlier?
    mrkb said:
    Yes
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6879
    rsvmark said:
    mrkb said:
    Yes
    Ah, then it’s “authentic” (poly finishes don’t tend to get sticky). Rolands talc suggestion seems to be the best solution, as nitro does tend to soften with heat and humidity. On a poly neck a light rub with a  fine wire wool takes the edge off the hard gloss finish and usually slickens up a neck nicely.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    This is one of the main reasons I dislike nitro. Unfortunately one of my favourite guitars has a nitro-finished neck - although not the body - which suffers badly from this, even when it’s not hot. I should probably get around to just sanding it off…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Weird, I actually noticed this on Saturday when I played an outdoor gig and wondered if it was just me. I just put it down to it being a humid, thunderstormy kinda day and me being a sweaty bugger, even though I was wiping my fingers constantly and didn't actually feel sweaty!

Good to know that that it's actually 'a thing' and it's not just me!
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1336
    I had sticky neck syndrome in 2 outdoor gigs this weekend, but it was my sweaty hands, not the nitro as it was on the fingerboard/fingers side too. Horribly humid this weekend, but rainstorms helped on Saturday as it packed the marquee for our set!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    I looked at the title of this Discussion and thought the answer was going to be 'lightweight scarf.' Doh! 

The classic hand towel on stage, give it a rub when you can? 

[The guitar neck]
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
    Sharky77 said:
    @roland just a bit on the back of the neck then? Hands as well?
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    rsvmark said:
    Roland said:
    Sharky77 said:
    @roland just a bit on the back of the neck then? Hands as well?
    Balls too. You don't want any potential restrictions to your rock star moves repertoire 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @rsvmark I put a little on my left hand. It spreads with use. If it’s a really sweaty gig I might also dust the underside of my right forearm to stop it sticking to the guitar body. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31613
    I've just started using talc this year and it's totally cured grippy strings or neck problems. 

You don't need much at all, but boy it makes a difference. 
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    p90fool said:
    I've just started using talc this year and it's totally cured grippy strings or neck problems. 

You don't need much at all, but boy it makes a difference. 
    Does the wire wool thing affect the look or feel of the neck in any way?

My 335 has a sticky neck so tempted to the this. I don't think I'll ever sell it but cautious.

Maybe @Roland's suggestion of  talk maybe be better first try.
    You can’t undo wire wool unless you refinish the neck. Talc can be wiped off if you don’t like it, although it does tend to get on your pedals, and I’m not sure what it does to string life.

The main reason I use talc isn’t sticky neck, it’s sticky fingers. Our keyboard player has started using it for that reason.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    Does the wire wool thing affect the look or feel of the neck in any way?

My 335 has a sticky neck so tempted to the this. I don't think I'll ever sell it but cautious.

Maybe @Roland's suggestion of  talk maybe be better first try.
    I use car scouring pads on my poly necks starting with a right grit and then finishing off with the higher ones but it's basically the same. Just a light scuff to take away the stickiness on my Teles and you wouldn't really know it had been done to look at. It feels a thousand times better. You don't notice any roughness - it simply feels less sticky. If you don't like it then just play for long enough and you'll get the glossy feel back.

On my Tremonti SE the matte finish from scouring is more obvious on the neck but it's easy to use a bit of electrical tape while slices of so that there's a neat edge between the goods on the headstock and the hell. Of course nobody will ever notice that when you're on stage
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    edited July 2023
    Cotton jewellers glove with the fingers cut off. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    Roland said:
    Sharky77 said:
    Yes. It works for me as well.

It's not a competition.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2806
    So is it just a bit rubbed on to your fingers?  Does it last for the whole gig after that?