Temperature effects?

What's Hot
I tend to play my guitars in a quasi rotation. A week or so ago, I picked up my L'arrivee and after a few strums, it sounded good. 20 mins later it sounded brilliant. I thought it was mostly down to not having played it for some time.

This week I looked at what was to be played and chose my Avalon Ard Ri, It is spruce on walnut and always used to sound a bit warm and muted. I put that down to it taking an awfully long time to come to full tone. However, this time after initial settling down it rings like a bell - and I've done nothing since I last played it.

I got to thinking (always a bad idea, I know) and thought about my other guitars. They all sound better at the moment. Is it just that it's summer or is there something else going on? 'Cos if there is, I'd like to know so I can strive to optimise the tone on all my guitars.

Answers / opinions on the back of a £20.00 note please :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think wood expands with heat, so that may have had an effect, in terms of increasing resonance. I would assume though don't know that tropical woods may sound especially good in the heat

But for me whether my guitar good or bad is often down to my mood at the time, nothing to do with instrument.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Humidity can affect wood more than temperature. If you’re susceptible to hay fever the inflammation can affect your hearing. Hay fever, and medication, can both affect your thinking, and hence the way your brain processes sounds.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    It’s humidity. I imagine it’s pretty dry at the moment. Worth getting a little hygrometer to keep track of humidity in the room where your guitars are kept. I lost mine when I moved house, must buy another.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2777
    I think it’s suprisingly humid at the moment, my hygrometers in Wokingham have been in high 50s for the past week or so 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9660
    sev112 said:
    I think it’s suprisingly humid at the moment, my hygrometers in Wokingham have been in high 50s for the past week or so 
    Ha, that shows exactly why I need to get one again!
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 237
    edited July 2023
    Summer has arrived. The temperature increase has melted your ear wax.....

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom