left index finger injury

nithyanithya Frets: 1
Hi
I am a beginner level Bass guitar player/ learner. I am right handed but had an injury / fracture on my left hand index finger 7 or 8 years back... which means I cant bend my left index finger. My index finger remains pointed. My index finger cannot reach the G string by bending. I have to move my hand completely down to be able to touch the G

if I am playing a chord that needs my index on the G, then am just lost there...  :(

Has someone got a suggestion ? how do I work around my problem ? any suggestions please?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8707
    Have you considered playing left handed? It can seem like a big step, but as a beginner it’s only going to take you a couple of weeks to get up to your current right handed ability. The biggest downside is finding a left handed instrument.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14434
    My brother is left-handed but plays right-handed. An injury at primary school left him with a ring finger that does not always cooperate. Instead of pressing a string down between frets, it bends the wrong way, reducing the desired note to a choked splutter.

If you must play triads on bass guitar, consider drop D tuning. That way, you can fret the root, fifth and octave with a single digit.

I was going to suggest restringing a right-handed instrument upside down - like the bass register side of a Chapman Stick. This would make it easy to fret the G but, instead, make it difficult to fret the E.

As a player of both guitar and bass, I cannot help wondering why you are attempting to hold down four string chord shapes. This is both physically difficult for a relative beginner and unnecessary … UNLESS you are playing Motörhead cover versions.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom