Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtb White marlin sidewinder

What's Hot
danbandanban Frets: 343
edited October 2014 in Guitars £
As above.

I had one of these as my first electric and am looking for one in white and maple.

There's a lot of memories tied to this for many reasons and would be nice to get back to my roots.

I spent many hours with my grandad learning to play shadows songs, teaching me how to pick out notes and learn by ear.

I'm a Gibson fan and don't have a strat but if I did it'd have to be this.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I had a black one once, I wrapped it around a washing line pole as it was unplayable.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dont do it man. It has to be one of the worst electrics ever made. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Considering they sold so many, back in the day - there seem to be relatively few, still around.. Maybe we can all draw our own conclusions from that..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    The only other thing would be an early 90's squier strat in white and maple
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    usedtobe said:
    Considering they sold so many, back in the day - there seem to be relatively few, still around...

Kind of like how you don't see white dog shit any more.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I had to do a double-take when I saw the title of this thread!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a sparkly purple one. Oh the shame of it! Fortunately it was faulty and I took it back after a week.
    :\">
    Link to my trading feedback
  • danbandanban Frets: 343
    Maybe it was my rose tinted lenses but I thought it was great for my first electric.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6206

Ahh Marlin Sidewinders.. glitter monsters and quite simply the worst guitar ever produced on mass in the late 1980s.

Plywood bodies and full floating trems on soft-metal pivots.  They sold by the bucket load and disillusioned more would-be guitarists then any other instrument because it was impossible to get them to stay in tune (unless you screwed the block down tight).

Those were the days ;))

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I had a sparkly purple one. Oh the shame of it! Fortunately it was faulty and I took it back after a week.
    :\">
    So did I. It wasn't too bad for doing motorbike and Stuka noises but it certainly put me off Floyds and superstrats!
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8033
    Strangely enough...I bought one of these at a bootsale recently for £5.

The body was a true plywood horror, but I actually quite liked the neck (apart from that naff 12th fret marker, which has -0.0001% street cred).

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

• Mine was black, the trem was pants but i actually quite liked the guitar.
    I had mine from the catalogue in about 89/90 and i'm sure it was more expensive than squier bullets of the time.
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    I sooooo wanted one of these when I was a kid. Seemed so much sexier than my Kay LP
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8554
    I Sidewinder, white fading into blue (top to bottom, not sunburst) was my first electric. I loved it at the time but I can also recall it being a complete pile of shite once I upgraded to an Aria Pro II.

This is rose tinted glasses too far, don't do it!
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Metallic dark grey for me, black guard. Twas shite. No intention to revisit it. Upgraded to a Fiesta Red Squire. Then an SRV Signature Strat. Then onwards and upwards!
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Wahey, the old Sidewinder.

I had a White/Maple one when I was 15 and it was fucking bilge. They managed to produce at least one good one though, a kid I knew a little later on also had one in green and his must have been a fluke as it stayed in tune even with trem use, even he couldn't believe it, he gigged it regularly too.

It is good to remember what you started out with though, I agree.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8053
    dont do it man. It has to be one of the worst electrics ever made. 
    I had one for the first two years of my guitar playing life.

POS.

Get a Japanese fender instead.

Marlin :)
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    If you want something from the 80's, pick up a Westone. Properly built guitars, and cheap.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    dindude said:
    I Sidewinder, white fading into blue (top to bottom, not sunburst) was my first electric. I loved it at the time but I can also recall it being a complete pile of shite once I upgraded to an Aria Pro II.

This is rose tinted glasses too far, don't do it!
    Mine was exactly this but red / white. It has always been the worst guitar i ever owned and always will be. I hated it after 1 day but was stuck with it. I traded my Grant les paul copy in on it and regretted that ever since.
    The squier you mentioned is a huge step up from this abomination.