Which wireless system (Now NWSD)

What's Hot
relic245relic245 Frets: 962
edited July 2023 in Live
What are the forum favourites? Pros and cons would be useful please.

we are a 4 piece band mostly playing pubs and small music venues. We do the occasional mini festival too.

I don’t need to go into the crowd, I mainly want it to make moving about the stage easier. I’m sure it will be useful to stand out front for soundchecks too.

the bass player recently bought a cheep and cheerful one that works great for the bass but sucks all the top end off guitar.

Obviously I want something that is either a clean signal or one that only needs minor tweaks to tone controls.

budget around £175 but of course happy spend less if the job can be done cheeeper.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    edited July 2023
    Shure GLXD16 here. Absolutely brilliant for guitar and bass. And the new "plus" version comes with an instrument in on the pedal so you can go with a cable as a backup. Not the cheapest but it's brilliant kit. 

My use-case is mostly about being able to wander about during soundcheck, but it's also nice as me & the other guy swap between guitar and bass sometimes so it stops needing a huge bass cable that trails all over the stage. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Thanks @stickyfiddle thats got to be the fastest reply ever!

looks great but sadly way over budget.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27108
    relic245 said:
    Thanks @stickyfiddle thats got to be the fastest reply ever!

looks great but sadly way over budget.
    You might just get a used non-plus model in budget. I think I paid a bit over 200 for mine and that was before the new one launched.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8716
    Our bass player tries to use cheap wireless. It works some of the time, which isn’t good enough. He gets dead spots at gigs. At Sunday’s rehearsal it went down because someone else in the rehearsal studio turned on another transmitter on the same channel. With wireless it’s a case of doing it properly, or not bothering.

I’ve got a Line6 Relay 55 which I bought secondhand on here. Useful for soundcheck, and moving around at larger venues. When playing I always keep a cable coiled on top of my rack in case the wireless goes funny.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1336
    I like my line 6 G10S. I like that the transmitter is self contained and rechargeable and the receiver goes on a pedalboard. I had a regular G10 before which worked fine but it broke as not really built for a pedalboard and a security guard stepped on it at a gig.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1369
    I've had a Smooth Hound for several years. I have snapped one of the antennae, but the wire inside it is still intact, and I can push the antenna back into position.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1133
    I’ve had a Line6 G30 for years and it’s still going strong. Our bass player has one too. Some people say the battery cover breaks but not mine. 
  • MonkeyboneMonkeybone Frets: 261
    Line 6 G50 user here, it's had several years heavy use but still going strong.

Before that, I had a Sony wireless. It was pants.

My band - Crimson on Silver  For sale - Blackstar HT-5S

Gear - Guitars, amps, effects and shizz. Edited for Phil_aka_Pip, who is allergic to big long lists.

• WeZ84WeZ84 Frets: 167
    I have a SmoothHound unit too - it works pretty well. No signal drop outs unless you move too far out of range - which is unlikely in most of the venues we play in. 

The only negative I have with using it is that some Fuzz pedals don't like being after the receiver and don't sound as good. This is likely to be a con of all wireless systems though as some Fuzz pedals need to be connected directly to the guitar pickups for the correct input impedance etc.

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I’ve had a Line6 G30 for years and it’s still going strong. Our bass player has one too. Some people say the battery cover breaks but not mine. 
    I have two transmitters and one receiver so I can easily switch guitars. One has a fixed broken battery cover and is perfectly intact. I have neoprene cases which attach to my strap and remove further concerns about battery covers as it's a nice snug fit. It's worked fine for years
  • I use a Line 6.  Don’t notice any difference between it and a 20’ lead, so it works for me 
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Used the Line 6 G50 for about 5 years when playing in touring rock bands. Sounds just as good as a cable and didn't have any issues with it live.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    AKG WMS40 - unfashionably analog, cheap, simple, works.

Single AA battery lasts for ages in the TX.
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Joey2014Joey2014 Frets: 42
    As above, do it properly or don't do it at all (IMO). GLXD16+ user here and it works perfectly. Currently on a summer European tour and haven't had a single issue.

Paypal in 3 is your friend!
    Only way to feel the noise is when it's good and loud!

• onyironyir Frets: 45
    Been using a Boss WL-20 for a couple of years in our pub gigs with now problems at all
  • relic245relic245 Frets: 962
    Thanks for all of your comments and input. I've just taken delivery of a line6 G30. 

Tried it for 10 mins in the house and it does what I want it to. Mainly it doesn't suck tone!

Looking forward to rehearsal tomorrow and then 2 gigs next weekend to really try it. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    @relic245 The Line 6 G30 is great and just a couple of rubber bands wrapped around the unit holds the battery flap super snug tight.  Been doing that with mine for years and no problems at all.
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    relic245 said:
    Thanks for all of your comments and input. I've just taken delivery of a line6 G30. 

Tried it for 10 mins in the house and it does what I want it to. Mainly it doesn't suck tone!

Looking forward to rehearsal tomorrow and then 2 gigs next weekend to really try it. 
    Fine choice. Enjoy your new toy.

I have one recommendation though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neotech-7901124-Wireless-Pouch-Medium/dp/B000P4B7C6

This is a good idea as it attaches much better to your strap than the default one. It also helps keep the battery door secure. Although I don't recall it being anything like that price when I got mine. I suppose that's inflation for you...