TurboTail – gadget for transferring tension from bridge/top to tailblock

What's Hot
barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
edited July 2023 in Acoustics

Interesting… but I wonder how many takers there will be. Effectiveness and looks aside, people don't usually love drilling holes in their guitars.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72500
    So you can put steel strings on a classical guitar without ripping the bridge off the top?

If only it had existed when I was 17…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9665
    Wow, someone has invented the trapeze tailpiece. ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 976
    The TurboTail is the most important innovation in the acoustic guitar since Antonio Torres perfected the Spanish Guitar over 150 years ago.

Probably not
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 631
    The TurboTail is the most important innovation in the acoustic guitar since Antonio Torres perfected the Spanish Guitar over 150 years ago.

Probably not
    From the 'If you're not lying, you're not trying' school of marketing!

As someone whose engagement with the world of acoustic six-strings really only goes as far as following a few makers and players I like, I was curious about this bit: 

'The greatest contribution of the TurboTail is that it allows guitar builders to design guitar soundboards with significantly less bracing.'

Made me wonder how minimalist a flat-top builder could theoretically go if the top wasn't subject to the usual amount of force, and whether I'd actually like the sound of a guitar built much more lightly than those held up as great now.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3280
    Couple that with a string butler at the other end and you’ll look a right bobby-dazzler!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom